User Stats

Votes
Carlos C.
Votes |
Management LLC bank accounts

Carlos C.
Posted Oct 1 2019, 19:38

Hi, 

Im restructuring my rentals and several members, articles and youtube videos suggest to have a Holding LLC and have individual LLCs inside of it owning one RE property per LLC.

Then open a traditional LLC to manage the rentals. This LLC will lease the rentals, collect rents, deal with contractors, etc.

Do I need one or several bank accounts for the traditional LLC (management LLC)? if I have only one bank account and all the tenants deposit their rent payments, will this be consider "commingling" funds?

Thank you for the advise.

User Stats

Votes
Bjorn Ahlblad
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Replied Oct 1 2019, 19:43

@Carlos C. commingling funds only becomes an issue if you mix your PERSONAL funds with your LLC funds.

User Stats

Votes
Carlos C.
Votes |
Replied Oct 1 2019, 19:52

In the scenario that I described a Holding company will ONLY hold the RE properties, maybe a Wyoming LLC or a Series LLC. Then the traditional LLC will have ONE checking account for ALL rentals?

Will this setup help lower the liability by keeping the RE separate from the LLC that is dealing with the public?

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Billie Jo
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Union City, PA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Union City, PA
Replied Jan 2 2021, 14:49

@Carlos C. Just curious how you ended up with this? Care to share what you learned?

User Stats

Votes
Eric Johnson
  • Lender
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Jan 2 2021, 15:00

Create a new LLC for every 2 or 3 houses, so you limit risk exposure. Each LLC will have an operating account.

I use AZLO (a subsidiary of BBVA) as they are free, 100% online (with physical ATM accessibility). Do not use a bank that has any service or maintenance fees. They frequently do because its a business account and its just another BS way to charge you.

User Stats

Votes
Carlos C.
Votes |
Replied Jan 9 2021, 10:42

I will use Community America Credit Union, they offer a good setup, no fees for business accounts. 

Now I'm researching on how to move money from the LLC bank accounts to my personal account to pay for my living expenses. Looking for a good accounting software...better if it is free and not online or cloud. I don't feel comfortable adding all info to a server... and maybe in a few months or years the company closes and has all my info.

Maybe Quickbooks... now I'm using excel templates.

User Stats

Votes
Carlos C.
Votes |
Replied Jan 10 2021, 09:35

Hi, I don't have a lot of rentals...and don't plan to buy more...maybe do a couple of flips a year to increase cashflow and savings. I been looking for accounting software, Quickbooks, and it looks like now all versions are online only, with a monthly subscription. I would like a basic bookkeeping software, desktop, that I can purchase and use until I want to upgrade. A few desktop version will work for 2 to 3 years, then you have to pay for a new license. 

Any suggestions?