House hacking with existing tenants

2 Replies

First time posting!

I am analyzing properties given to me by my realtor. Some are duplexes, some are quads. Most of them advertise existing tenants and a rent range. 

How do I approach the sensitive strategy of house hacking a property like this? At the end of the day, do I even have the rights to kick someone out for me to live there? This is in Florida.
I was thinking talk to each of the tenants and see if any are willing to leave in the near future. What if none are willing?
I can stay in the place I'm living in now for a month or two after I purchase the property, but no more.

Also, when analyzing properties that advertise a rent range, what are the best ways to charge the upper bound of that range without starting off on a bad note with the tenants (whom I will be living with and self managing the property).

You can ask that a unit be delivered vacant in most cases and wanting to live in a unit is generally a valid reason assuming the lease is month to month.  If none are willing to leave you can offer cash for keys where you offer $500 or whatever amount if they vacate by x date.  As far as not ruffling feathers when raising rents as a new owner, if you do any renovation or repairs that will soften the blow but nobody is going to be excited you raised their rent.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here