Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Brandi Scharrer
  • Northwest Arkansas
Votes |
Refund to renter for inconvenience of repairs never being fixed?

Brandi Scharrer
  • Northwest Arkansas
Posted Nov 19 2019, 13:26

The Situation: We have been renting a full furnished home as a STR for the past 3 1/2 months. It's an expensive home and that we pay a steep monthly rent for. Since move-in we've had numerous issues with the home and some have lingered on for quite some time. I estimate I have had at least 12+ repair appointments, all things that did not work before we got here, not things that broke while here. The property management company and owners have been good about getting someone out to fix things BUT the repairs linger or don't get fully fixed. They are often working through their home warranty.

All things not working on move-in:

• A/C unit for upstairs broke in 115 degree Vegas heat, fixed in 2-3 days
  • Could not change temperature of thermostat, it was pre-programmed and controlled remotely, months to fix
  • No internet, after we spoke numerous times about us working remotely from the home via the internet, added next day
  • No garage door opener, 2 weeks to get
  • No heat (yes we need heat in Vegas), took weeks to fix
  • Shower in 4th bath did not work, months to fix but wasn't urgent as we were not using it
  • No dishwasher, still not fixed

While everyone has tried it has been a huge inconvenience with all the repairs and the dishwasher has never worked and still doesn't. We work remotely from the home and I cook 1-2 times a day. I've never appreciated something like a dishwasher working as much as I do now. We are frustrated that we have been paying for a luxury home without basic working features. We've never been in this position before and as future landlords I want to learn from this as well. We are getting ready to move out and have asked for some type of refund or compensation since we were under the impression we were renting a fully functional house and the time to fix things has taken months. The homeowners don't necessarily agree with us asking for this as their position is they did everything they could and it is not their fault with parts, etc being on backorder through the home warranty company. I understand that briefly but there has to be a time period where you just replace it, right?

The Question:
As a landlord... 

1. Would you give a refund in this situation? If so, what do you think is fair?
  2. Do you think this is a reasonable type of request?
  3. How long is acceptable to let repairs like this linger before you just have to replace them vs repair? Please keep in mind this is a furnished STR.

Loading replies...