how much can i raise the rent on my tenant

5 Replies

Hello, 

am new to investing, and managing property  looking for advice/guidance

1] I am trying to find out how much i can raise the rent on my tenant and how many days notice to give them.

I have a single family residence 3 bed 1 bath built 1930s tenant paying 1600 monthly signed one year lease july 2017. Residence located in an unincorporated area in south LA region of LA county zip code 90002. Never raised rent since they moved in 2017.

2] Are there property manager who consult for landlords to help them write lease agreement, or other paperwork for a fee of course without hiring them to manage the property. I have other questions to ask.

Thanks to any who respond.

What is market rate rent going for in the area?

Typically I raise rents 2-5% each year.  I would wait until after the holidays.  Maybe give them a few months notice.

They will either accept it or they will give you notice that they are moving.  Be prepared for that as not every tenant is accepting of that.

Most other property managers I think would prefer to take over vs a small fee for that.  There is little money or incentive to make that worth their time.

It depends on a few factors, check with your town, some are rent controlled/rent frozen, when I write a lease I add that every year a monthly increase of $50.00 per month, it has done really well for my bottom line and it is not a surprise to the tenant.

@Larry King welcome to BP! Most likely you can get answers to your questions here by posting and searching threads. I found my State LL Association to be a great resource as well. Forms, advice, networking etc. Available here too.

Your lease will state what happens at the end of term. It is likely now month to month; but check. There has been new legislation in LA regards notice and where and to whom it will apply. A Site like Rentometer will help you establish market rent for your property. All the best!

Be very careful with raising rents. As you are probably well aware, the rent control laws of LA, unincorporated LA, and CA have changed dramatically very recently. A couple months ago a 3% cap was instituted for unincorporated LA that was supposed to last until the end of this year. There was talk about making that 3% permanent - which may have passed. 

I would consider finding a real estate lawyer instead of property manager in that area to help guide you through this process. Most will have standard leases that comply with the current laws. In my experience, lawyers have been much more helpful and knowledgeable than PM, but also more expensive. The few hundred you are going to spend can save you tens of thousands if you screw up. 

Thanks you all for helping me out.

I have used rentometer and found out my rent is on the low(green) side in my area.

will be contacting PM or real estate lawyer for help writing a new lease agreement and try to get more info from 

rent control board in my area. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here