Number of Non related tenants !

12 Replies

In Ohio, is there a limited amount of non related tenants for a SFR?

I want to consider student rentals and want to know if there is a limited amount of students I can put in a SFR if I can add bedrooms!?

Thanks for any responses!

@Eli Gilbert you can define an occupant limit and you can set different standards based on the number of unrelated occupants. Do a Google search for "Keating memo" for occupancy guidance. Check out Fort Collins "You Plus Two" for an example of limiting unrelated individuals. Or dig through my website.

@Nathan G.

Thank you for your response!

I didn't understand your answer completely, but on the U+2 site, it seemed to imply that there would only be 3 students allowed in a SFR, is that true? Does that mean that all student rentals that have more than 3 students are illegal?

Originally posted by @Eli Gilbert :

@Nathan G.

Thank you for your response!

I didn't understand your answer completely, but on the U+2 site, it seemed to imply that there would only be 3 students allowed in a SFR, is that true? Does that mean that all student rentals that have more than 3 students are illegal?

That is correct in Fort Collins. Think about a 4bed house with four students. That is four vehicles parked on the property. Four people with visitors or boyfriends/girlfriends. Parties. Increased wear-and-tear. Increased interpersonal conflicts. I creased neighbor complaints.

you can make more money but you can also have more problems and ruin the neighborhood.