• Ocean View, NJ
Votes |
Sprinkler system in Duplex-being required to maintain

Benjamin Haberman
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Ocean View, NJ
Posted Jan 3 2020, 17:33

BP Community,

It's been a while since I posted but I'm hoping someone out there could give me some good insight on this matter. I purchased my first duplex 4 years ago. It was my first one. I now own 3 duplexes, a motel, and 3 single families. At the time, there were no fire inspections required in the township. In 2019 they started doing fire inspections in all rental properties throughout the township. I ended up getting my first inspection report back and it said I needed to provide a working sprinkler report from a licensed fire suppression company. I was blown away. Why? Because I had no idea I even had sprinklers. I know for a fact they aren't working and I also know that I don't want to mess with them.The only thing I hear about sprinklers is how expensive they are to maintain. The township is saying I am required to maintain the sprinklers since they are there now. I told them I would demo them and the fire inspector told me he would fine me $10,000 per sprinkler if I remove them. I got all fired up talking to him today when I went to his office. I calmed my self down and pleaded with him to give me a better solution. He said I could go to the construction office and get a permit to demo them. I went to the construction office (his dad is the construction official :( ) and they are telling me that they wont sign it and its against the law to demo sprinklers. I seriously feel that im being screwed with and its the worst feeling. Knowing what I know now, I would of ripped them out when I was doing the original repair on the duplex. I DO know that they are NOT required in the new construction code for duplexes when building new.

The duplex is filled with Section 8 tenants and I literally just passed the section 8 inspections for downstairs and upstairs.

If anyone out there has any useful information for me on how to proceed, i would really appreciate any insight.

Thank you!

Loading replies...