• Rental Property Investor
  • Tulsa, OK
Votes |
No heat/hot water, tenant wants a hotel

Lyndal McMurphy
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Tulsa, OK
Posted Jan 30 2020, 12:51

My tenant in a SFH (single mother with toddler) was contacted by the gas company saying she was using excessive gas. They sent a technician out who did a pressure test on the gas line and said there is a leak on the house side, and turned off her gas. They told her to contact her landlord and have them get the leak fixed, inspected by the City, and then they can turn gas back on. That was yesterday and I called 5 different plumbers referred to me and the first reputable one I could get onsite was today. They are looking for the leak now. I'm not optimistic her gas is back on before early next week. I took 5 radiator and space heaters by her house yesterday. She is saying she has no where else to stay if they get too cold, or to shower/cook. I'm doing all I can do.

My question is... at what point am I obligated (morally or legally) to get them a temporary place to stay.  Daytime temps right now are mid 30s.  Will be in 60s this weekend.  So hopefully the space heaters can at least keep them warm.  But they have no hot water.

Also, because I know this conversation is coming soon, am I obligated (again morally or legally) to pay any excessive gas charge, if they charge her for her full "usage"?

Thanks!

Loading replies...