Troy Winkler
  • Investor
Votes |
Introduction/Covid -19 Showing Question

Troy Winkler
  • Investor
Posted Apr 1 2020, 08:26

Hello All!

I have been an avid podcast listener for the past few years, but this is my first post!

I currently own one duplex in Wisconsin, in the city that I live in. I purchased it 3 years ago, and have not had a lot of turnover. I had one eviction on one side with an inherited tenant. Aside from filling the vacancy after the eviction, this is my first experience with turnover, and combined with my first turnover experience we also have the covid-19 pandemic going on.

My tenant gave me a 60 day notice on March 1st that she would be not renewing her lease that ends April 30th. I was waiting until April 1st to begin advertising (in hind sight I maybe should have listed it sooner, but didn’t want to begin showing it to soon) Anyways I am planning to list it today, and the current tenant is very tidy, and will fully cooperate with showings while she is still living there, in hopes that I can rent it out right away for May.

I have 2 questions, and have done some research on the forums but I still don’t know how to handle this; Should I show the occupied unit, and how would I reduce vacancy time with waiting until it is vacant? For example Tennant moves out April 30th, I get in to clean and paint, and show it in May, I am maybe not getting a new tenant in until June then. If I show it occupied I could likely have it rented for May. This is something I have been battling.

My second question is with the Covid-19 pandemic if showing while occupied is the way to go, I more than likely should not put my current tenant in danger by bringing in people for showings. I just wanted to get everyone’s thoughts and suggestions on how you may be handling a similar situation.

Thanks in advance!

Troy