• Rental Property Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Flooring Question For Rental

David New
  • Atlanta, GA
Posted Apr 23 2020, 15:01

I spoke with a home depot rep today about replacing floors in a rental that I am about to rehab. I was quoted $2.50 sq/ft for their lower end trafficmaster material and install. He recommended me go this route but told me that this type was not water resistant and that kind of pushed me away. I was also recommended the pergo laminate that is supposed to be much more durable around water and more scratch resistant. I felt like this may last a lot longer but would cost $4 Sq/ft material and install. Lastly, I looked at the LVP which I see a lot of people on here praise. I can get LVP material / install for $5 sq/ft. The home depot rep told me that although the LVP would withstand water really well and be very durable, it would probably feel cool to step on whereas the laminate would feel much closer to room temperature and that this was something I needed to take into consideration. I have not seen this part mentioned on here before.

I'd love to hear any feedback about any of this material and whether you feel this is a fair price based on what you are getting.

Thanks,

David

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Seibert
  • Investor
  • Frederick, MD
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Frederick, MD
Replied Apr 23 2020, 17:07

Hey @David New I try to refinish existing wood flooring wherever possible in my units. Where I have to replace flooring I replace it with a durable vinyl flooring like Lifeproof. It lasts a long time and is waterproof

User Stats

Votes
David New
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Apr 23 2020, 17:45

@Benjamin Seibert

Thanks!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Seibert
  • Investor
  • Frederick, MD
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Frederick, MD
Replied Apr 24 2020, 05:09

@David New no problem! The vinyl definitely helps keep it tenant proof and should last for multiple tenants!

User Stats

Votes
Filipe Pereira
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Windsor Locks, CT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Windsor Locks, CT
Replied Apr 24 2020, 05:27
Originally posted by @David New:

I spoke with a home depot rep today about replacing floors in a rental that I am about to rehab. I was quoted $2.50 sq/ft for their lower end trafficmaster material and install. He recommended me go this route but told me that this type was not water resistant and that kind of pushed me away. I was also recommended the pergo laminate that is supposed to be much more durable around water and more scratch resistant. I felt like this may last a lot longer but would cost $4 Sq/ft material and install. Lastly, I looked at the LVP which I see a lot of people on here praise. I can get LVP material / install for $5 sq/ft. The home depot rep told me that although the LVP would withstand water really well and be very durable, it would probably feel cool to step on whereas the laminate would feel much closer to room temperature and that this was something I needed to take into consideration. I have not seen this part mentioned on here before.

I'd love to hear any feedback about any of this material and whether you feel this is a fair price based on what you are getting.

Thanks,

David

Hi David, we install Lifeproof flooring across our portfolio rental in CT. Specifically Lifeproof Shadow Hickory. My contractors love the easiness of the install and I appreciate the quality of the product at the price point it's at. We used to use a Shaw commercial product (another LVP - can't remember the specifics) but it was 2x the cost and I'm not sure it was 2x better than the off the shelf stuff at Home Depot. 

I'm not too concerned about the temperatures of the flooring. I can't imagine hardwood floors would be any warmer, but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong...just ask my girlfriend!

Lastly, pro tip: if you get enough flooring, you can go to the pro desk (or the guy/gal in flooring) at Home Depot and try to negotiate a discount - especially if you're buying enough that they have to place an order. We're usually able to negotiate 5-15% off the retail price they quote us. 

Connecticut Property Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
David New
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Apr 24 2020, 05:31

@Filipe Pereira Thank you! This helps a lot.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Apr 24 2020, 07:02

I prefer LVP. Yes, it will be cooler than carpet but the tenant can always put down area rugs. I personally try to keep carpet in the bedrooms and LVP in the rest of the rental.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Mike Giallanza
  • Property Manager
  • Centennial, CO
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Centennial, CO
Replied Apr 24 2020, 07:42

LVP all the way, including the bedrooms. Just brought on a new property and one bedroom still has carpet. Black light test showed over 100 dog urine spots. Disgusting! If you want to have pets in your rentals, LVP will hold up much better & longer than carpet. 

User Stats

Votes
Sean Mcevoy
  • Valley cottage NY
Votes |
  • Valley cottage NY
Replied Apr 24 2020, 08:00

@David New I had Lifeproof LVP installed in my 3 unit and it looks amazing and is tenant proof. I figured I would spend a little extra on the floors to make sure they lasted. I have pictures of the floor I used if you would like to see. I even installed it in my primary residence and everyone who walks in loves the floors.