Votes
David To
  • Newport Coast, CA
Votes |
California call for class action lawsuit on Eviction Moratorium

David To
  • Newport Coast, CA
Posted Jun 5 2020, 12:03

So I owe two homes that I'm renting out, one tenant is paying just fine but the other tenant owes me two months of non-payment and are not paying since she's been unemployed. If she applies for unemployment, she'd be getting about $4,000 a month in California, which is more than enough for the rent payment. But she isn't cooperating and I believe is abusing the system.

I wonder, what is better to do? With California's judicial council law, you have to wait another 90 days after the governor lifts the eviction moratorium (that means July 28, 2020 plus 90 days afterwards so we are looking at October 28, 2020). That's a potential of 5 - 6 months where the tenant doesn't have to pay me a single dime and will be squatting in my house for free. Not to mention any damages to the property I will have to suffer as well. And it could get extended to 2021.

What's the chance of me getting the rent back-pay owned to me? The tenant can simply delay and move out or get evicted in November and it could end up in small claims court if I want to get any money back or a collection agency will have to go after the tenant (and the collection agency gets 40% of anything they can collect on). 

Should I gamble on this or look into how to file a class action lawsuit against the State of California and the Judicial Council?

Any other people in California having these issues and would like to get together to file a Class Action Lawsuit or offer suggestions on joining local Landlord associations who are already looking to do so? Strength in numbers is the way to do anything about this. 

Do other landlords have problem tenants that are not paying as well?

Let me know your thoughts.