• Tampa, FL
Votes |
Florida eviction for non payment - assistance

Todd Groom
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Posted Aug 3 2020, 07:56

The eviction ban in Florida has changed. Now landlords can evict tenants who have not lost income due to covid-19 and are just choosing not to pay. Also the mortgage on this property is private and not federally backed. So no eviction protection exist for this tenant we know of.

We have a tenant with an odd situation. Without writing a book this person has chosen to abandon the lease instead of paying back rent. He moved a homeless woman and her 5 kids in the apartment in exchange for sex. Then when she refused he got mad and stopped paying rent. She’s on the lease along with her kids. She’s had more than 3 months notice he’s moving out. Now she seems like she may put up a fight. So while he’s packing and moving we have decided to start the eviction process so by the end of the month we will hopefully be at that point. Both of these adults are just abusing and trying to work the system. I felt bad at first and tried to help them but now they are just taking advantage of us. Not only is he a pretty terrible person for abusing a woman he’s also commuting social security fraud and we want him out. She’s also just hoping to squat and get a free place to live. Also this tenant broke the agreement to maintain the buildings in exchange for drastically reduced rent. This was an inherited tenant and agreement not ours.

I was hoping someone here knows the Florida eviction for non payment process and could just check and make sure we are taking the proper steps.

From what I've read first is a 3 day pay or quit notice. Followed by a 5 day notice. Then at that point we file with the clerk. Just want to confirm these steps and anything we need to do. We are not an LLC so shouldn't need an eviction Attorny.

Thanks for any help.