General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Mark S.
Votes |
Logistics of the lease agreement when purchasing an occupied unit

Mark S.
Posted Aug 5 2020, 16:10

I am in the process of purchasing a duplex with one side occupied. The current tenant has a lease which began in January, and terminates in 2021, so I'll be inheriting that lease. The seller sent me a copy of the tenant's lease, but the confusing part is that the lease is signed only by the tenant and dated within the last 2 weeks. Is the seller expecting me to sign the lease, and return it to him, to forward onto the tenant?

What is a typical sequence of events in regard to signing a new copy of the lease with the current tenant? (I know I'm responsible for the tenant's lease as-is. Do I even need to sign the new lease, or is it just for my records?) Does the seller deliver it to the tenant after I've signed it? Or do I deliver it upon closing, and then notify the tenant that rent should be paid to me, instead of the address mentioned in the lease?

I know that's a lot of questions. Any help is appreciated. (I also know that typically these questions would be directed at my agent, but we don't have agents involved on this deal.)

Loading replies...