General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Samed Arif
Votes |
Tricky Tenant situation

Samed Arif
Posted Sep 25 2020, 10:32

So I have a building that has about 4 evictions going on right now so I can't afford another eviction. This building is in the greater Chicagoland area. I just renovated a unit and two people move-in. One of the tenant's credit scores was ok but the other tenants was high and he made good money. These two roommates got into an argument over the weekend. The tenant with the higher credit score and better paying job calls me and says that he wants out of the lease bc he can't live with the other roommate anymore and the other roommate said he would quit paying rent. I tell him no way unless both of them sign a termination agreement. He then says that if I don't get him out of the lease, he will re-enlist with the army and be deployed so I have to "legally" let him out of the lease and cant report anything to the credit bureaus cause he is deployed now... The tenant with the bad credit score will not sign the termination agreement....

What should I do? I just want to give them there a move-in fee and tell them to find another place but the tenant with the bad credit score is going to be hard to get rid of. These people know that the courts are closed and that evictions won't happen until next year. I have 4 evictions in this building and I can't afford other tenants not paying. All and any advice will be appreciated. 

Loading replies...