About to do a deal with Section 8 tenants

5 Replies

Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase a SFR that has section 8 tenants who are actually moving out by the end of the year because the property owner was going to raise rents. The owner has now decided to sell the property (and tenants are still moving out). My question is, do I have to get section 8 approval as a landlord for the interim that I own the property before the section 8 tenants move out? Anything else I should be aware of. I literally don't know what I don't know. Thanks!

I'm sure it varies state to state but I purchased a property with a Section 8 tenant in place in Boston MA one year ago and the housing authority was very easy. I just had to contact them with updated owner info and submit a new direct deposit form for payments. No inspection or analysis necessary. Find out what housing authority the tenant has and ask them what their process is. 

Basically the tenant they had was using a packet that must be filled out by the landlord. After everything is accepted an inspection must occur by their inspector. So you most likely will need to fill out a packet with a renter and your own lease if this doesn't renew.

@Mauricio A. You’ll definitely want to make sure to notify the Housing Authority about the change in ownership so they stop paying the current property owner and start paying you once you take over.

The exact process will likely vary slightly by each Housing Authority. However, this will give you a good idea of how it will go: