General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Mike Atkinson
Votes |
Question about master key lock system , lock access

Mike Atkinson
Posted Nov 18 2020, 13:48

You guys are probably used to getting questions from other landlords ,but I'm actually a tenant in a large complex That is zoned for office and residential. I'm just curious how a Master key system works because I just moved in and there appears to be too many people, some of them unknown and strange ,that have a master key to all the locks there.. One time when I was coming back I even saw a staff member opening one door after another saying they were looking for the owner of a car in the parking lot and since there's all different people here day and night for my safety and the safety of some valuable stuff I have in there I went ahead and changed the lock.by law they're supposed to notify the tenant and get permission before they just go and open people's doors. I used the exact same brand deadbolt as what was in the door before. My question is will their master key work on any deadbolt of the same brand or are there locks specially made to work with that key? Yeah I know some people are going to say I shouldn't change the locks,  I should contact the landlord , but I will take my chances. I think my safety and the safety of the stuff for my business is more important. Thanks for any help.

Loading replies...