User Stats

Votes
Michael Gabin
Votes |
Tenants not using individual garbage

Michael Gabin
Posted Nov 21 2020, 17:07

Hi all,

Looking for some input on an issue I am having. I currently own a 4-unit in Otisville NY. I am house-hacking, but my other 3 tenants came with the property. On the side of the property there are 4 garbage cans, one for each unit. Before I bought this property, it seems as if there was no designated garbage can per unit and the tenants could throw out the garbage in whichever can they wanted. The "PM" would then take the garbage out on Monday night to be collected Tuesday morning. 

Since I have acquired the property, I am changing this rule on garbage to be every tenant is responsible for their own trash. I have had a tenant give me pushback when I mentioned to him to kindly not throw trash in my can, and to please use his own since every unit has a can. He then got extremely rude and hung up the phone telling me that this is not how it has been.

What should I do about this? I am thinking about writing him a formal letter/notice letting him know the rules going forward. Currently they are not under a lease. I am raising rents, but needed to give them 90 days notice. They signed leases for 2/2021.

Thanks in advance

Loading replies...