Landlord & home owners insurance

1 Reply

Hi, I'm closing on a duplex and got a quote for home owners insurance since I will be house hacking. I have coverage A through F. 

The insurance agent told me I don't need landlord insurance while I live there, rather get landlord insuance when I totally rent out the duplex and don't live there. Is this the right way to go about landlord/homeowners insurance while investing? Thanks in advance!

I'm in the same situation as you and house hacking a duplex. When I contacted the different insurance companies for quotes there wasn't any talk of "landlord insurance." Each company advised me that I needed to insure the entire property and my personal belongings. The tenants would be responsible for obtaining their own renter's insurance - that's it. Personally, I've never heard of landlord insurance.