• Powell, OH
Votes |
Keeping Ohio Security Deposit

Jacob G.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Powell, OH
Posted Jul 24 2013, 19:53

Hello all,
I have a tenant of about 4 years moving out of a single family home next week that has quite a bit of issues. The home was perfect upon move in, now it appears all carpet will need replaced, all walls painted, serious deep cleaning everywhere(It's disgusting), appliances have not been cleaned ever, kitchen cabinets may need refinished, mini blinds replaced, etc.

My question is how much deposit should be kept for all of these issues. Our cost will far exceed the deposit but am not sure what all she is liable for and I assume going after her for more could backfire in court once they get into life of carpet, wear and tear, etc. The home does smeel of smoke, especially in the downstairs living room(that was turned into her bedroom). I have heard that is grounds for keeping deposit for painting and carpet since the smell can't be removed. What proof woudl you reccomend for the smoke smell? Ionly see an ashtray and butts in the attached garage right outside that room.

Just looking for general advice and what to watch out for to avoid any issues. Thanks for any advice!

Loading replies...