I'm thinking of getting into the Cleveland, OH, rental market.

7 Replies

I'm thinking of getting into the Cleveland, OH, rental market. Does anyone have any experience with properties in the 44108 zip? I've done some research online, but I'm just not sure if it'll be a good area for rentals. I'm thinking of the $75k or below price range.

Are you pre-approved with a lender yet? Even if you are "paying cash" you will not be taken to seriously if you have not done this step yet my man. 

By the way, don't let a lender tell you they won't "approve"  mortgage loan for 75K or under. I have one that will do it for properties at the $50K mark.

Originally posted by @Charlie J. Bendana :

I'm thinking of getting into the Cleveland, OH, rental market. Does anyone have any experience with properties in the 44108 zip? I've done some research online, but I'm just not sure if it'll be a good area for rentals. I'm thinking of the $75k or below price range.

Charle the 1st place you'll want to start is with The Ultimate Guide to Grading Cleveland Neighborhoods. That should answer a lot of your initial questions on the market.

By the way Charlie if you do invest in Cleveland I can tell you the one PM and Realtor to stay far far away from. 

At all costs.

Originally posted by @Brian Garlington :

By the way Charlie if you do invest in Cleveland I can tell you the one PM and Realtor to stay far far away from. 

At all costs.

Brian,

I am surprised you are still investing in Cleveland. Last time I spoke to you, you were being sued by your tenants because you couldn't afford to maintain your properties. Glad to see you've rebounded but I don't know that you are qualified to be giving folks advice.

Originally posted by @James Wise :
Originally posted by @Brian Garlington:

At all costs.

Brian,

I am surprised you are still investing in Cleveland. Last time I spoke to you, you were being sued by your tenants because you couldn't afford to maintain your properties. Glad to see you've rebounded but I don't know that you are qualified to be giving folks advice.

We have never ever talked, period. Subsequently, it is a little surprising you would say "Last time I spoke to you,....." 

I have not mentioned the name of you or your organization in my posts over the last couple of years. Yet you decide to put a post out here on a public forum (falsely) claiming I was being sued by a tenant because I couldn't afford to maintain a property?

That is the definition of slander, and I know you are more professional than this.

I've had one tenant sue me. That tenant was clearly not mentally stable and her lawsuit was so frivolous that it was thrown out and she was served with an order of eviction and ordered to pay the attorney's fees. You may not have been aware of how that ultimately turned out because I had already terminated doing business you folks. 

As for not being able to "afford" to maintain the properties it is unfortunate you chose to intepret things this way. I simply chose not to have your contractors do the work on a number of properties after I saw what your team was trying to charge. Your organization was gracious enough to let me have other contractors bid on the work and I chose to utilize and hire a different contractor that is here on BP and he does amazing work. His bid for the same work was less than half of what your organization was trying to charge......and he was far from the cheapest, but he came with glowing recommendations so I chose to utilize him instead of your crew. Simple economics.  

Praise in public, criticize in private. That's how I was taught. It is unfortunate you have decided to (falsely) criticize me in public instead of calling, emailing or texting me directly. This is somewhat understandeable since we do not do business with each other anymore. It is public knowledge that sometimes you like to display private emails and documents here on BP of people who have done business with you or are trying to do business with you. Without mentioning names some of those folks are "way out there" and some have been quite reasonable. If I resorted to posting private emails to try to publicly shame someone that goes against how I was raised. I've certainly got private emails that were sent to me that, if they were put out in a public forum would be very embarassing to that person and their brand. The tone of the emails sent to me from this person after I had to engage an attorney to get money back that was owed to me from that organization is bullying, rather vulgar, very condescending and totally lacking in professionalism. 

As much as you would like to, I will not continue this dialogue in a public forum with you. It is baseless and all it does is bring more attention to you. 

Originally posted by @Brian Garlington :
Originally posted by @James Wise:
Originally posted by @Brian Garlington:

At all costs.

Brian,

We have never ever talked, period. Subsequently, it is a little surprising you would say "Last time I spoke to you,....." 

I have not mentioned the name of you or your organization in my posts over the last couple of years. Yet you decide to put a post out here on a public forum (falsely) claiming I was being sued by a tenant because I couldn't afford to maintain a property?

That is the definition of slander, and I know you are more professional than this.

I've had one tenant sue me. That tenant was clearly not mentally stable and her lawsuit was so frivolous that it was thrown out and she was served with an order of eviction and ordered to pay the attorney's fees. You may not have been aware of how that ultimately turned out because I had already terminated doing business you folks. 

As for not being able to "afford" to maintain the properties it is unfortunate you chose to intepret things this way. I simply chose not to have your contractors do the work on a number of properties after I saw what your team was trying to charge. Your organization was gracious enough to let me have other contractors bid on the work and I chose to utilize and hire a different contractor that is here on BP and he does amazing work. His bid for the same work was less than half of what your organization was trying to charge......and he was far from the cheapest, but he came with glowing recommendations so I chose to utilize him instead of your crew. Simple economics.  

Praise in public, criticize in private. That's how I was taught. It is unfortunate you have decided to (falsely) criticize me in public instead of calling, emailing or texting me directly. This is somewhat understandeable since we do not do business with each other anymore. It is public knowledge that sometimes you like to display private emails and documents here on BP of people who have done business with you or are trying to do business with you. Without mentioning names some of those folks are "way out there" and some have been quite reasonable. If I resorted to posting private emails to try to publicly shame someone that goes against how I was raised. I've certainly got private emails that were sent to me that, if they were put out in a public forum would be very embarassing to that person and their brand. The tone of the emails sent to me from this person after I had to engage an attorney to get money back that was owed to me from that organization is bullying, rather vulgar, very condescending and totally lacking in professionalism. 

As much as you would like to, I will not continue this dialogue in a public forum with you. It is baseless and all it does is bring more attention to you. 

Brian I have nothing to hide. Everything my company does is 100% transparent. Our fee structure is transparent. How we maintain the portfolio is transparent as well as the requirement that our clients are required to maintain their properties in a way that meets local, state and federal building codes. If we run into clients who don't have the desire, resources or ability to maintain their properties in a way that meets local, state and federal building codes we won't place tenants in their units. The moral issue aside the business liability for us to do so makes no sense. 

For example; if I had a client who did not have $7,822.33 in their bank account and could not afford to meet his obligations to fix up his property, to the point where an existing tenant sued him as well as my company as his property manager at the time the unit was unfit I would have to drop that client as well as retain any money left in that client's escrow account until my company was able to be pulled off of his lawsuit. All of this is of course covered in our property management agreement as I previously stated we operate in the most transparent way possible.

-

Perhaps we should go through all of the emails between you and myself and show folks the complete story of how your dealings with Holton-Wise went.