Body Odor Smell Removal

6 Replies

Hey BP community. The wife and I just got our second rental property after house hacking our first one for 3 years. It’s a duplex and the prior owners lived in the lower unit and was a smoker. I got the place painted, carpets cleaned and ultimately had a company come and run ozone machines and it definitely helped with the smoke smell. My dilema is I now have the lower rented and the upper unit tenants moved out and they were not messy people but the place smells like Body odor and it’s been 2 weeks and the smell has not gone away. It’s all carpeted and I’m wondering if anyone has any suggestions for freshening the air. I think the smell is embedded in the carpet.

Originally posted by @Miguel Campos :

Hey BP community. The wife and I just got our second rental property after house hacking our first one for 3 years. It’s a duplex and the prior owners lived in the lower unit and was a smoker. I got the place painted, carpets cleaned and ultimately had a company come and run ozone machines and it definitely helped with the smoke smell. My dilema is I now have the lower rented and the upper unit tenants moved out and they were not messy people but the place smells like Body odor and it’s been 2 weeks and the smell has not gone away. It’s all carpeted and I’m wondering if anyone has any suggestions for freshening the air. I think the smell is embedded in the carpet.

You might need to recarpet (use new pad by the way). Sometimes the carpet and pad get so bad you can't really get the odor out. The other thing to look at is cleaning the kitchen stove. Some people cook some pretty interesting (spicey) meals and items fall into the burner elements cavities. Also check the oven and behind the stove. One of my renters was allowed 2 pets and behind my back had 5 dogs 3 cats and 5 serious size fish tanks. It smelled like a barn.  We had to recarpet and paint of course. Dog & cat urine can seep through carpet into the wood floor beneath, so that might be something to look at to.

Read this previous thread: https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

Promotion
Guaranteed Rate
Guaranteed Rate is a top mortgage lender
Save $1,290 on your next home – no lender fee*
Get special perks like $1,290 in lender fee savings when you buy a second home with Guaranteed Rate.
Apply Now

Redoing carpet should do it with something like this. I had one that was so bad that I actually had to retexture all the drywall in the house because the smell had penetrated even the paint.....sigh.....

Hi @Miguel Campos , Did you already try to use white vinegar? Just pour a generous amount of white vinegar into a spray bottle. Spray the white vinegar onto the carpet. Don't worry – the smell will disappear (and it will actually absorb any other bad odors you're trying to eliminate). Let it dry completely, and then repeat the process over again, as needed.

I read where you said you used an ozone machine in one unit, but I did not read where you said you used a ozone machine in the unit of this discussion.