Originally posted by @Jack Orthman:

I checked with two large drywall and plaster distributors this morning and neither ever heard of button board. At both companies, I think the Village Idiots answered the phones since when I asked what type board is used for plastering walls it was like I was an alien from outside our solar system.

Thanks for the update.  The product appears to be based on the same concept as plaster and lathe; the holes allow the plaster to form a "key" on the top side preventing the plaster from separating from the surface.  Obviously, drywall with joint compound has stood the test of time at this point, but from heavier skim coat applications, perhaps the "button board" is a good idea.  Any further info would be appreciated.