Pro Member
Votes |
Beers & Deals - Portland Real Estate Investing Networking Event

Chris Merz
Pro Member
Posted Oct 4 2022, 16:26

46 Replies

• 10/26/22 05:30PM - 07:30PM America/Los_Angeles
  • Bunk Beer Hall at Bridgeport Village, 7333 SW Bridgeport Rd Portland, Oregon 97224
  • Free

Disclaimer: BiggerPockets does not support or sponsor any meetups unless otherwise noted. Do your due diligence before attending any events. You may be agreeing to attend an event that includes promotion, pitching, or high-pressure sales tactics or techniques. Poster certifies that there will be no pitching of products or services at this event.

Report Event

Please join us the last Wednesday of every month at 5:30 PM for a couple drinks and a chance to network with other real estate investors. No pitching, no fees, just networking.

User Stats

Votes
Gabriel Tapang
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Wilsonville, OR
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Wilsonville, OR
Replied Oct 4 2022, 17:19

On the calendar. Will try to make it this time

User Stats

Votes
Chris Merz
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Oct 5 2022, 09:12

Hey Gabriel! Last month we had 12 people total. We'd love to have you come and join us next month. We are hoping to see it continue to grow with more like minded people :)

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Chris Merz
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Oct 5 2022, 16:47

Hey everyone! It looks like we will may have 30-40 people this month! Hope to see you all there! The more the merrier!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 9 2022, 13:53

Hi everyone! I'm Jay and I recently just read How To Invest in Real Estate as well as Total Money Makeover (as suggested by the book). My husband and I have a unique investment idea we are hoping to get some insight on. I'm hoping to make it to the meetup this month as well to connect with people. 

As is suggested in TMM, we have been evaluating our debts as we create a strict budget. Our total debts (cars, credit cards, student loans, etc, not including our mortgage) is around $60,000. We have a $340,000 20 year mortgage (since we refinanced 6 months ago) and love our home and take pride in keeping it maintained and making small improvements on it. Thankfully we bought shortly after the pandemic hit, so we have greatly increased the equity in our home just by living in it over the last few years, even with it having slightly dropped the last couple of months. Based on the area we live and estimates of the home, we could sell it for around $450,000 today with the improvements we have made. 

Since we love our home so much and also want to get rid of debt, we thought of a unique investing opportunity. Until we bought our home in 2020, we spent year after year moving between rentals. Rather than sell our home and have to move again, we thought we would partner with a real estate investor, sell our home to them, and rent it from them for 2-3 years. Here's our thought process. 

What we have to offer as potential...Investment partners? Tenants?...is some equity in our home and the desire to continue maintaining and improving the home helping to increase the value. We would be both the tenants and property management. We would continue to pay for all utilities, HOA fees, repairs and remodel on the home, AND we would sell our home for $400K-$425K, which is $25K-$50K under its current value. We have already replaced the carpet in the whole house with high end carpet and padding, replaced some appliances, had a brand new AC and heating pump installed, fresh paint on the whole interior, and redone the kitchen and bathroom cabinets.

We would like to keep our monthly payment the same as our mortgage, so rather than sending the $2600 to the bank every month, we would send that money to you. The only only yearly expenses to an investment partner would be the property taxes and home owner's insurance. The area we live in is very desirable since it is very close to both Intel and Nike, very close to the max station (public transit), and in a neighborhood that is continuing to grow and develop. At a 3.5% conservative growth rate per year, the home will be worth $480K in two years, most likely $500K with the improvements we have already made.

At the end of that 2-3 years, we would like the option of buying it back at the new market value. We may decide to purchase a different home at that time and it can then be listed and sold to anyone. Since we are contributing with any repairs, maintenance, and utilities, most all of the monthly rent we pay each month as well as the $75K or more in increased equity over that time would be profit to the partner investor. At the end of the 2-3 years that would be a profit of $96K-$120K. Using the equation in the BiggerPockets book, that would be an annual ROI of 10.5-14%.

Is this an investment opportunity that sounds plausible and/or that someone would be interested in? I would love to talk more with someone to flush out this idea and review my calculations. Thanks everyone! 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Merz
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Oct 9 2022, 15:10

Hey Jay! Love your guys idea! Definitely something I may consider. Love to chat more about this. Look forward to meeting at the end of the month. 

Looking like we may have 30-40 people coming this month! Should be a great opportunity to chat with a lot of people about this. 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Merz
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Oct 25 2022, 14:23

Hey guys! Look forward to seeing everyone tomorrow! Your first drink, sliders and fries will be sponsored. Looks like we will have around 30-50 people this! Hope to see you all there! Should be a good time :)

User Stats

Votes
Heather McNicol
Pro Member
  • Vancouver, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Vancouver, WA
Replied Nov 22 2022, 13:13

Hi all,

I'm just getting started and would love to join your meetup on the last Wednesday of this month.  Is anyone planning to go on 11/30?

I look forward to meeting you all :D

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 25 2022, 22:14

Hi All,

Same question as above - is there a meetup this month?

User Stats

Votes
Heather McNicol
Pro Member
  • Vancouver, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Vancouver, WA
Replied Nov 28 2022, 12:02

Hi all,

I hope everyone had a lovely holiday weekend!  Looks like the next meeting should be in 2 days on 11/30.  Is anyone planning on attending?  It's a bit of a drive for me from Vancouver, WA but there aren't any closer meetups going on.  Please let me know!  I'd love to see you all :D

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Merz
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Nov 28 2022, 13:15

Hey all! We do have a meet up 11/30. Same time, same place. Look forward to seeing you all there! 

Looks like it will be another great showing of people. Looking like 30-40 people. 

First drink, sliders and fries are sponsored :) 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Merz
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Nov 28 2022, 13:23
Quote from @Heather McNicol:

Hi all,

I hope everyone had a lovely holiday weekend!  Looks like the next meeting should be in 2 days on 11/30.  Is anyone planning on attending?  It's a bit of a drive for me from Vancouver, WA but there aren't any closer meetups going on.  Please let me know!  I'd love to see you all :D

Thanks!

We do have our meetup on 11/30. Look forward to meeting you then :) 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Merz
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Nov 28 2022, 13:24
Quote from @Prashant Bagri:

Hi All,

Same question as above - is there a meetup this month?

We do! 11/30. Same time, same place :) 

BiggerPockets logo
Meet Investor-Friendly Agents
|
BiggerPockets
Network with top investor-friendly agents who can help you find, analyze, and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Merz
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Nov 28 2022, 13:24
Quote from @Heather McNicol:

Hi all,

I'm just getting started and would love to join your meetup on the last Wednesday of this month.  Is anyone planning to go on 11/30?

I look forward to meeting you all :D

Yes we do! On 11/30. Same time, same place. Look forward to meeting you then :) 

User Stats

Votes
Heather McNicol
Pro Member
  • Vancouver, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Vancouver, WA
Replied Dec 1 2022, 11:09

Shoot I'm sorry I missed this message!  I'll try to come to the next one :D

User Stats

Votes
Chris Merz
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Dec 1 2022, 14:02

All good! We aren’t going anywhere. The last Wednesday of every month. Same time, same place. Love for you to join. This month we have 45-50 people. Great turnout and lots of fun networking with other people! 

User Stats

Votes
Ryan H.
  • Investor
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Portland, OR
Replied Dec 27 2022, 06:23

@Chris Merz - will there be a meeting tomorrow 12/28?

User Stats

Votes
Chris Merz
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Dec 27 2022, 07:27

Hey Ryan,

There will be. Same time, same place. Look forward to seeing you then. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 6 2023, 19:28

Will these meetups continue into the new year?

User Stats

Votes
Chris Merz
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 6 2023, 21:41

They certainly will be! Last Wednesday of every month. Same time, same place. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 6 2023, 22:04

Great idea!  I love the beers and deals schtick!  I am from wine country- so Vino's and deals may also apply!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Merz
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 7 2023, 07:10

Thanks Shannon! Yeah it’s been a great time getting to meet other investors and learn what everyone is doing in the real estate space. 

You could definitely do vino and deals! 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 17 2023, 11:03

Hi all, I am new to real estate investing and would like to attend a meetup, hopefully this month. I've saved to my calendar and look forward to networking! Thanks!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Merz
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 17 2023, 11:19
Quote from @Licia Lund:

Hi all, I am new to real estate investing and would like to attend a meetup, hopefully this month. I've saved to my calendar and look forward to networking! Thanks!

Hey Licia! Welcome! We all look forward to meeting you! 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 20 2023, 14:20

Is this still a group that meets regularly? I'm open to come next week! 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Merz
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 20 2023, 15:14
Quote from @Justin Heiter:

Is this still a group that meets regularly? I'm open to come next week! 

We will be there! Same time, same place, last Wednesday of the month.