Learn everything you need to succeed as an owner or manager of residential rental property in Massachusetts.
This fast-paced course is strictly limited to 16 participants to allow for detailed discussion and Q&A. Course tuition includes:
- Small group session with the Executive Director, a trained presenter and experienced landlord, and the Legislative Affairs Counsel, an attorney.
- A comprehensive agenda, see below.
- Your choice of two books:
- Every Landlord's Tax Deduction Guide by NOLO,
- The Good Landlord by Peter Shapiro,
- Getting to Yes by Roger Fisher, and/or
- The Housing Manual by H. John Fisher.
- A bound summary of all material presented.
- Breakfast pastries, coffee, tea.
- Lunch sandwiches, sodas, chips, cookies; all dietary requirements satisfied, please notify us when you purchase a ticket.
- A MassLandlords ballpoint pen.
- A coupon for 10% off any MassLandlords annual membership.
- A MassLandlords certificate of completion and permission to use "MassLandlords Crash Course graduate" on your marketing material.
Saturday, October 27nd, 2018
- 8:30 am - Introduction of MassLandlords and course participants
- 8:45 - Rental markets
- Urban, suburban, rural
- Luxury, college, professional, working, subsidized, rooming houses
- 8:55 - Property selection
- Lead paint (Legal highlight)
- Bones vs surfaces
- Repairs and renovations
- Durable vs beautiful
- What if I'm stuck with what I've got?
- 9:05 - Sales and marketing 101 for rental property managers
- Marketing rentals
- Sales process
- Staying organized
- Branding a small business
- Getting more or fewer calls
- Tips and tricks
- 9:45 - Break
- 9:55 - Applications and screening
- Criminal, credit, eviction
- Discrimination (legal highlight)
- Tenant Screening Workshop
- 10:50 - Rental Forms
- Lease vs Tenancy at Will
- Eviction notices
- 11:10 - Legal Matters
- Late fees
- Security deposits
- Eviction process
- Water and electrical submetering
- Housing Court vs District Court
- Warranty of habitability
- Rent control
- 12:10 - Break and Lunch, with free form Q&A
- 12:40 - Maintenance, hiring, and operations
- Keeping the rent roll and expenses
- Filing taxes
- To manage or not to mange
- Tenants as customers
- Notifying tenants
- Monitoring contractors
- Lease violations and conflict resolution
- Record keeping
- 1:15 - Overview of books and resources for further education
- 1:20 - Review of unanswered questions
- 1:40 - End
Accessible by T and highway. Parking available in several garages for weekend rates. See CIC Directions for details. Pilgrim Parking has affordable rates and is a short walk from the venue, click here for details
- Fresh bagels, large muffins, cinnamon rolls, coffee cake slices and scones with cream cheese, butter, and jam
- Fresh fruit platter
- Assorted fruit juices and coffee
- Assorted gourmet sandwiches
- Garden salad
- Fruit salad
- Assorted pastries
- Soda, juice, water
*Please email Alexis at [email protected] if you have any dietary restrictions and need a special meal.
- Non-members: $205
- Members: $195 (log in before you register or you will see the non-member price)
- Online registration required. All ticket sales final.
Jillian will you be offering another crash coarse? You mention members and non members, which group do you have to have membership?