Do you have to pay taxes on a cash out refi?

4 Replies

I am about to close on the refinance of my house. We bought it for 190k, did a massive amount of rehab ourselves, and just got appraisal today at 345k. After the 69k left in the loan for the 20% do I have to pay taxes on the 94k remaining cash I plan on taking out?

@Chase Burkett You don’t have to pay taxes on the proceeds from a cash-out refi. It’s not considered income. It’s a loan that you have to pay back. 

(Congrats on your new appraisal and equity position by the way.)

Originally posted by @Chase Burkett :

@Kyle J. So I would have to pay back the 94K?

It was my understanding, based on the title of your post, that you were asking about a cash-out refi loan.

So if you take additional money out via a cash-out refi loan ($94k or however much it ends up being), of course you’ll have to pay it back. The bank is just loaning you that money (hence the reason it’s not taxable).

@Chase Burkett

No you are taking out a mortgage. It’s not a taxable event. It’s a loan that you(r tenants) will be paying back little by little each month with that new higher monthly payment.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you