Skip to content
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Whicker
  • Investor
  • Ogden, UT
Votes |
Rehab -> Buy and Hold (Mother in Law, Ogden UT)

Andrew Whicker
  • Investor
  • Ogden, UT
Posted Dec 23 2014, 08:55

Diary of Rehab / Buy and Hold:

Hi,

I thought I’d post my (minor) rehab to this forum. This website has really helped me out and I hope this will help someone take the plunge a little bit more comfortably. I’ll attempt to keep you updated on my going-ons of this rehab. I hope to go through most things with you in terms of both scope and cost. I have a kitchen I must remodel, two bedrooms that need painting, an interior door that needs to be added, and a small home inspection list that needs to be completed.  Please give me criticism / ideas / responses, if you have time.

I will warn you in advance that A) I have a full time job and B) I spend a lot of time in the mountains with friends to make me happy. In other words, this will be slower than a lot of other people’s rehabs. Also, I will be doing this work by myself except for the few times I can get some friendly help. The goal is rent ready by Feb 1st.

My first step is to paint the two bedrooms. One was orange and one was dark gray. Below are the costs of doing both. I have a ton of tools to work on cars and to work with metal, but house rehab is new to me and I don’t have a lot of tools that can be used for that. So… I’m putting costs into two categories: consumable and non-consumables (after 6.85% sales tax, Utah). Consumables being the stuff you’re going to have to buy every time unless you have extra. Non-consumables being tools that hopefully you buy once and store til your next go around. I’ll also tell you what store I bought stuff from. I know HD and Lowes are more expensive than other places.  If I find places with great deals, I'll let you know.  I have photos of the receipts if you are interested in more breakdown. I guess I’m just trying to provide you with an idea of costs.  I’m trying to do all my rehab under $3k in consumables. Hopefully less than $3k in total.

Second step is to plan the kitchen.

Without further ado, the breakdown:

Bedroom Paint:

Consumables: $397.63 (Home Depot / Lowes)

Non-Consumables: $147.20 (Home Depot / Lowes)

The wall area of both rooms is around 700 sq ft (350 sq ft each). Each room is basically 10’ x 10’ with 8’ high walls.

These costs includes 5 gallons of off-white flat paint, 1 gallon of ceiling paint, and 1 gallon of semi-gloss white for trim. The off white paint is Glidden paint + primer. I asked for the most common off white color and kept the paint color receipt. I chose flat paint because I think it looks better. The opinion seems to be half and half on whether to use semi gloss or flat in rentals. Much of the opinion could be centered on rental rate expectations and ability to touch up. Use the search function to find opinions of other BP members.

I consider brushes and plastic ‘down cloth’ sheets to be consumables. Besides paint, these are the other expensive consumables.

Photos: (see next post)

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwQI-yS8hEE

Loading replies...