Is this typical financing?

5 Replies

I am looking to get started in investing. I have a lender/friend who is offering a line of credit up to $50K. His terms are 12.5%APR and a 50/50 spilt on net profits. Thoughts from the group?

Hi Jeremy.
12% a year on borrowed money is pretty normal for me, and usually 2pts off the top in addition. However, that would be it for me and I wouldn't expect them to want a part of the deal unless I was borrowing a substantial amount like $400k or more. Even then, I'd expect them to front the money, split the deal 50/50 but not get paid on their money as well. Sounds like a tough deal you are being offered but without any other alternatives you may not have a choice.
Hope that helps.

John is quite right here. He can be either a lender and charge you interest or a partner and get a piece of the profits ... not both, at least not at 12% interest. If he wants both ends, similar to preferred shares of stock, I'd do 6-7% interest & split profits. This sounds like an incredible deal for him though.

I agree with both John and Greg. 

Beside financial advantage does this lender have any other qualities that would be beneficial as a partner. Make sure you both have a fully thought-out contract explaining each other roles. 

If you get a sweet deal, call me.  I'll bring the loan and be the only signer for it, and still only take a 50% cut, thereby by giving you 50% with no skin in the game.  Seems to me like your lender is better suited to giving colonoscopies rather than loans.  

Thanks, everyone for the advice. I have passed on this person's "offer". I will definitely contact you, Guy when I have the right deal.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.