Is this typical financing?

5 Replies

I am looking to get started in investing. I have a lender/friend who is offering a line of credit up to $50K. His terms are 12.5%APR and a 50/50 spilt on net profits. Thoughts from the group?

Hi Jeremy.
12% a year on borrowed money is pretty normal for me, and usually 2pts off the top in addition. However, that would be it for me and I wouldn't expect them to want a part of the deal unless I was borrowing a substantial amount like $400k or more. Even then, I'd expect them to front the money, split the deal 50/50 but not get paid on their money as well. Sounds like a tough deal you are being offered but without any other alternatives you may not have a choice.
Hope that helps.

John is quite right here. He can be either a lender and charge you interest or a partner and get a piece of the profits ... not both, at least not at 12% interest. If he wants both ends, similar to preferred shares of stock, I'd do 6-7% interest & split profits. This sounds like an incredible deal for him though.

I agree with both John and Greg. 

Beside financial advantage does this lender have any other qualities that would be beneficial as a partner. Make sure you both have a fully thought-out contract explaining each other roles. 

If you get a sweet deal, call me.  I'll bring the loan and be the only signer for it, and still only take a 50% cut, thereby by giving you 50% with no skin in the game.  Seems to me like your lender is better suited to giving colonoscopies rather than loans.  

Thanks, everyone for the advice. I have passed on this person's "offer". I will definitely contact you, Guy when I have the right deal.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here