What style is this? What would YOU do to improve the value?

5 Replies

Hey ther! I am under contract for my first investment purchase! This is a very unique property. It looks almost like an A frame, but not quite. The link is below.

My questions to you are:  

How would you increase the value of this home/add curb appeal? 

What style house would you call this?

Talking about appraising out, do you think this property would have a hard time appraising out for around $118k? Not sure how appraisals work on houses with unique styles/architectures...

Thank you for some feedback! :)

Oops! @Crystal smith

http://fmls.fusionmls.com/DotNet/Pub/EmailView.aspx?r=1583594099&s=FML&t=FML&m=true

Mansard style.   I would assume it is framed normally and the angle could easily be removed although the space may contain insulation.  If the shingles are not in very good shape I'd remove the mansard and install side windows.  I would still try to open up the side with windows if keeping the mansard.  The style should have little effect on the value.  

I would think you're going to need to pull off the shingles and replace with some type of siding, and the railing looks like it needs replaced too. Are there any other houses that style in the area that have been updated? Unless you're in love with the style, I wouldn't worry about investing a lot into keeping it, it appears to be a dressed up box, that can be changed to any traditional style. 

On a tangential note, I'm curious about others thoughts on investing in a property that is a unique style.

My advice to investors, particularly first time investors, is to purchase the most popular styles as a starting point as I believe the nique styles can constrain the buyer pool.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.