Votes
Will Koederitz
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
First investment property - Royal Oak, MI

Will Koederitz
  • Royal Oak, MI
Posted Mar 4 2015, 08:30

Hi, I am new to REI and to BP. I would like to share my recent (and ongoing) purchase and get feedback from others who are experienced on here. I plan to use this as a rental income property.

The property I decided on was listed for $69,900, a little over 600sqft, and needed no major repairs after home inspection. 

The rental market in the area appears to be large. Comparable units were renting for $950 that were within a half-mile radius over the past year. 

I was able to get the property for $63,000, with 15% down and 5.25% interest rate. 

Looking at the unit I see several positives and negatives.  This is a loft style unit, which I believe makes the place feel much larger due to the layout.  On the other hand, it doesn't technically have a separate room which isn't preferable to some renters.  I do think the candidates for this style place will be single professionals, hopefully keeping the potential tenants as "good" tenants.  Because it probably won't be shared by two people, I believe the tenant to be better due to having a decent salary to afford this alone.  Long term, I feel it may be more difficult to sell a loft as opposed to a typical property with separate rooms, etc.

I am new to this and did about 3-4 weeks hard research and looking at many places with my realtor, looking at comps, surrounding areas, etc.  I figured it was time to just do it and give it a try and the learning experience would be worth it either way. 

I am just looking for any feedback on this situation, good or bad, things I didn't see, etc.  Thanks for reading and I hope to hear some feedback soon!

-Will

Loading replies...