Video Deal Diary - $50K Profit Blown!

9 Replies

Hey, everyone!

I wanted to share this video diary I put together of a $400K+ house fix-and-flip that my brother did with one of his property managers here in Salt Lake City. 

Most of what he does are wholesale deals, but he did do over 100 flips last year, so he does a lot of that, as well. That said, he's never been scared of doing a flip like he was scared of this one. This was a deal he probably shouldn't have done: his "gut" was practically screaming at him to not to do this deal from the get-go. 

You can watch the project/video diary here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e-gtku8dFI&featur...

Please free to give me any constructive criticism on the video/story side of this. I'm always looking for better ways to make videos, so I'd love knowing what you think! I tried to make the video/story of this deal really dynamic, because I realize most flips are not cut-and-dry. There's usually a lot going on with every project and this one was that way, for sure. That said, there's only so much you can say in just over 10 minutes. :)

Thanks for watching!! :)

Jason

Loved the video, only flaws I saw were the segments that didn't completely fill the screen? 

Thanks for checking it out and for the feedback, Keith! 

Yeah, I'm always torn when it comes to iPhone video... and I usually err on the side of making those clips smaller, over having it be large and (distractingly) poor quality, comparatively. Maybe the smaller video size is more distracting than the poor(er) quality would be? Hmmmm.

Anyway... thanks again! I'm glad you enjoyed watching the video!

good video, a bit slow, typically you loose 70% of your audience on anything over 2 minutes.  song was a bit long too. sorry I own a production company just giving my two cents :)

No need to be sorry, at all! I appreciate the feedback, man. A shorter version would definitely be a really good thing. :)

Awesome video guys, just subscribed to your channel.  Production quality was great overall, the audio towards the end was a little of sync for me but didn't detract from my viewing experience.

I actually wanted a longer version that went into WHY the project went $50k over. What decisions happened along the way? What surprises appeared that could not have been foreseen? Was $20k unforseen and $30k due to communication, contractor, and upgraded finishes issues? Basically, how much of this was in or out of your control? 

I am in a similar project right now and we are $35k over our original budget and probably only $5k is due to "unforseen" issues. 

Thanks, Jason! And, yeah, you were totally right about the out-of-sync-ness... Ug. That was frustrating for me to discover, myself (after the fact, of course.) I'm really glad my oversight didn't affect your viewing experience, though! :)

For anyone interested in watching the video in it's more perfect form, you can check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbS6t0ukRgo :)

Jonathan,

I really appreciate your insight into how we could have improved the video. I think there are probably other people who would also like to know where all the money went. (And Andy is probably one of them! lol )

As for those specifics, I'll let Andy share what he knows about all of that... :)

Jason

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.