• Providence, RI
Votes |
Burned out fire ridden house = cash cow

Brandon Ingegneri
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Providence, RI
Posted Aug 23 2015, 16:29

My partner and I were going to look at a small bathroom remodel one day when we drove by this house.  We saw some pretty extensive fire damage, and immediately did some digging to find the owners.  It turns out this house had been let go, and was bank owned just outside of Providence, RI.  We thought it was a great location, directly on and off the highway, walking distance to a bus line, shopping centers in close proximity, and the commuter rail to Boston minutes away.  Only thing, zero off street parking which scared us, but we rolled the dice and compensated what it lacked with a very low offer.  After we got inside of the house, we realized that the fire damage was extensive, but only damaged a minimal amount of structural elements of the house.  There was severe smoke and water damage, and an existing sagging second floor from the weight of the water, but we knew that was able to be fixed.  What we also learned upon further inspection was that there were 2 other previous fires in this house.  That was our ammo for the negotiation, plus everyone else that inquired about it was scared of the fire damage.  My partner and I have been in construction for some time, and could see the extent of the fire.  Also, being a firefighter, I could accurately assess how specifically the fire damaged the structural elements.  Long story short... $40K for this multi.  

Loading replies...