Skip to content
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice

User Stats

Votes
Warren Bright
  • Cape Town, Western Cape
Votes |
My first investment property (A diary - IN PROGRESS)

Warren Bright
  • Cape Town, Western Cape
Posted Nov 30 2015, 14:12

Hi everyone!

After years of saving and the last few months of looking at different properties to purchase, I have amazingly had my first offer accepted on a deceased, 1 bedroom apartment estate. 

This is my first step in building my property empire, and I am so incredibly excited to get things underway and share it with the BP community. Owning property has been a dream of mine since a young age, and I am looking forward to the journey ahead!

The flat is in appalling condition as the current tenant (who is also the deceased mothers son) is unemployed / a druggie and has not respected or given an ounce of TLC towards the property. 

After years of watching Grand Designs and practically every renovation show I feel comfortable in my vision of how the property will look, and the steps that need to be taken in order to achieve that look.

My niche market that I have decided upon is  "Affordable Luxury". This means finding an apartment in a general area and going above and beyond to make the tenant feel like they are better off than those in the surrounding flats / houses. I don't have a problem spending a bit extra on nice porcelain tiles and stylish looking finishes if I know it means I will attract more of a 'higher classed' tenant, and giving me a higher rental return.

My renovation will take a month and I plan on:

1. -Gutting out the flat, removing the carpets and parquet flooring
  2.  Knocking down the wall between the kitchen and the lounge
  3.  Installing new kitchen cabinets with a stunning island, AND A BUTLER SINK! (It's a personal favourite)
  4.  Removing the bath, tiles and horrible colours in the bathroom
  5.  Removing some BIC's from the bedroom (there are too many cupboards)
  6.  Tile throughout the bedroom, kitchen and lounge with large porcelain tiles
  7.  Add a shower and modernise the bathroom with wood-look floor tiles and beautiful wall tiles.
  8. Completely repaint the flat

I invite you to join me on this journey. I will be posting photos and videos as I go along, as I know how much everyone loves to watch the visual transformation of a project ( I know I do ).

The first step is to wait for transfer date and hope that the druggie tenant decides to move out and not cause any problems. Wish me luck!

Loading replies...