• Rental Property Investor
  • Chappaqua, NY
Votes |
Westchester, New York House Hack/live in flip- John Hickey

John Hickey
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chappaqua, NY
Posted Feb 26 2017, 07:57

The Bought this house as short sale December 2009 for 350k.  3/1 1200sf Pleasantville NY

Original Rehab was 80k.  We later finished the basement an addition for 100k.  Just sold for 675.  By then it was 3/2.5 1700sf

We were looking at buying a primary for a few months.  We saw this house on the first day.  Months later after looking at 30-40 houses we settled back on this one.  The price had dropped from 550-375 over a year.  When we first saw it the had it listed at 400k. We went back and forth with the bank and settled on 350 cash.  Three months to close.  

We did a full gut rehab, and after living there for 6 years moved to the next live in house hack.  More about that later.  Here's the after photos.  The photo above was about 2012, I never took before photos.  Lesson learned!

Another is to keep the end goal in mind...sell the house for the most money with the least  amount of work.  I spent a lot of money on this house that I didn't get back. Gut only when necessary, if you break it you have to put it back together and sometimes your better of leaving well enough alone.  

Loading replies...