Skip to content
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice

User Stats

Votes
Jose Duque
  • Binghamton, NY
Votes |
First deal- Dealing with unsupportive family?

Jose Duque
  • Binghamton, NY
Posted Jul 12 2017, 12:40

Hey guys,

I came here seeking some advice/support on this. I am a new investor who is closing on my  very first property (a house hack) within a month. Now the place doesn't look amazing, it needs some cosmetic work, but it cash flows for days, it is structurally sound- no big ticket expenses, as well as it is located in a really desirable area for student housing. I was the happiest man around ...until my parents came up to see the place. No matter how hard i tried to assuage their feelings about this place they could not see behind the grime and the dirt. They hated it so much that my mom cried and basically made me feel like a turd for buying it. Now yes, this house was cheap and with my engineering salary I could buy something nicer, but they did not care at all about the cash flow. I haven't been able to sleep because there is no way i can back out of this deal without getting sued since we are so close to closing. I'm not sure I even want to back out, because I am confident in my estimates. I just feel extremely disheartened to have worked so hard to find this property and to be talked down to. Sorry, maybe i'm just ranting. Has anyone else had experiences with supportive family or friends?

Loading replies...