What would a seasoned investor do with this deal….?

2 Replies

I wanted to get some feedback on what seasoned investors would do given the below mentioned projections offered in a 65-unit syndication:

65 units recently remodeled/upgraded insides built in 1992 – 2000 (Class C)

Tertiary Market 3min from a medium size university (~11,000 students)

New roofs, New siding, New parking lots, Some new HVACs

4% Vacancy Rate due to units finishing remodeling

Listed Cap Rate 8%

Value Add: Rents are 20 – 25% below market

Projected returns:

Exit Strategy no more than 5 years

65/35 Equity Split

8% Preferred Return

17 – 18% Annual Average Return

15 – 16% Internal Rate of Return

10.9% Average Cash on Cash Return

87% Overall Return on Investment

@Daniel Brown , the first question that comes to my mind is: How did they arrive at 65/35 Equity split? (Remember the film: "The Producers"?)

Q. #2: How much is your money earning currently? 

Q. #3: How much have you researched their track record? (Not just the projects they want to brag about! eg. How did they fare in 2008-9?)

Q. #4: My calculator tells me that if you're getting 10.9% compound (monthly) interest on your investment deposit for 5 years, it comes to 172% of your outlay. So how does it work? Can you access that cash-on-cash during all of those 5 years? In which case it won't accumulate to 172%. But if not, why don't they just say your cash-on-cash return should be 187% after 5 years, if that's what they're projecting? (Which is higher than 10.9% annually!) My 2c...

[Disclaimer: not a seasoned investor with syndications. From my ramblings, that could be obvious].

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here