Is the home inspection business still lucrative?

4 Replies

Thinking of going into business as a home inspector. This would be my way of getting started towards investing in real estate. Doing this I could build a big contact list and also learn new things and save money for a down payment on my first sfh investment. Any advice about this business that anyone can share? Thanks for reading

Do you have any experience with this business? 

Do you have your license? 

yes i do have a little experience Inuse to do electrical and house jobs with my uncle. And no I dont have my license yet but i will be attending school to get all the licenses and everything else that i need

Getting the license is the easy part. Find the business is the hard part. Don't expect your phone to ring right away. It takes a lot of time to get your name out there. Also do some research and see how many home inspectors are in the area that you plan on servicing.  Some areas are saturated with home inspectors, and the seasoned inspectors have relationships with realtors, and get their referrals from past clients. Pricing is important to consider as well. Many inspectors give away there service for almost nothing which devalues the inspection business. Just some thoughts for you.

Can be very lucrative. Building your brand and name is relatively easy. Just got to every brokerage in your market and let them know who you are. Be thorough and competitive on pricing and most importantly analyze the numbers and learn real estate for personally investing purposes.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.