• Riverdale, NY
Votes |
I spent my Sunday dealing with squatters with a toddler. Lol

April Molina
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Riverdale, NY
Posted Nov 27 2017, 00:25

How was my Sunday you ask??

I currently have a flip or rent property in Philly (whichever comes first)

My agent goes by this morning and lockbox is gone. He calls me and asks if I’ve been down there since I am from NYC (I’m in town 3x a week). My mind starts to go on a million I am thinking maybe a squatter, maybe an agent left the lockbox inside when they were showing the house. I was with family so my agent says he will call all agents he’s dealt with and find out and when it gets darker he’s going to check the house to see if lights are on. It’s about 6pm when he calls and says lights are on in the house and when I knocked someone opened the door and said they rented it. Rented it from who?? How?? My agent isn’t aware and I am not aware of this. My husband (whose my partner) calls his two cousins and makes his way down to Philly...2 hours later he’s on FaceTime with me and there’s a family of 3 with a babyboy about 4 years old living in our flip, sleeping on the furniture that’s being used for staging, they moved in yesterday!!!! My husband went down with all documents needed to prove we own it and his 2 cousins just in case.

They call the cops before attempting to get in the house and give a heads up of what is about to happened. Once inside the 2 girls start giving this sob story about being scammed by an agent who rented the house here and show a receipt ( hand written note) trying to prove their bogus story. My husband and his cousins are not hearing it, while I am on FaceTime with him yelling as well. I was beyond livid,cops finally come, we both prove we own the house. They head in and it legit took an hour to get these ppl out , while they are crying saying they’ve been scammed, if we can allow them to stay until morning.

Finally after giving names and ids (they didn’t get arrested because of that silly receipt they had) down comes the baby boy about 4 years old woken up from his sleep on my carpet with Sleepy eyes looking all confused and my heart broke. I don’t understand why people would risk their freedom and safety, doing things like this with a kid. It saddens me especially when we just celebrated thanksgiving 2017, it broke my heart (having one myself)

Anyways the house was not trashed and locks have been changed. I was so stressed but something told me a kid was inside even before the guys got in.

In this game you have to take the good with the bad. I can’t dwell on this considering some have had way worse issues. I stayed on budget with this house, it’s on the market, return is good either way. Telling myself this allowed my husband and I to stay calm. This is how I spent my Sunday.

Happy thanksgiving weekend.

Loading replies...