HELOC versus Cash Out Refinance

3 Replies

Hello BP Team,

I currently own an investment property in Oakland, California that I just remodeled. It was initially tenant occupied until November 2017 when they suddenly moved. In the process they severely damaged the unit to the point that I had to file an insurance claim for vandalism. It was not even livable. I used all of the insurance claim money to rehab the property and some. It will be rent ready next week. Anyway the value has gone up tremendously. I have about $220K to $250K in equity available. I am debating if I should apply for a Home Equity Line of Credit (HELOC) or a traditional cash out refinance. My credit union will fund either loan. I owe about $300K and the property is worth about $525K to $550K. With the HELOC I can borrow up to 80% of the appraised value at 5.5% with a variable APR. The HELOC is 12 year loan maximum term. On the other hand, the cash out refinance would be 4.25% amortized for 30 years with a balloon payment after 10 years so I would have to pay off the remaining loan balance or refinance again. My credit union will offer a lender credit of 1.5% towards closing cost to do a cash out refinance. In the end both loans could essentially be done without any lender cost with the 1.5% lender credit for the cash out refinance. I can only borrow 75% of the appraised value with the cash out refinance. Which would be the better option?

@DeNay Ramsey , if you can get a 1.25% better interest rate with your cash out refi (fixed for 10 years), I'd lean towards that (especially in an appreciating market). However, I notice that in all of your lengthy post, you didn't mention what you want to do with such a loan?

eg. For a Flipper, who just needs quick access, and turns over properties fast and repays any loan, I might suggest HELOC, because it's a revolving line of credit, with interest payable only on the amount drawn out an any given time. My guess is though, you're more buy-n-hold? Cheers...

Hey DeNay,

I worry about the same thing happening to me someday. Being fairly new to investing, I feel that it is only a matter of time. I didn’t realize home owners policies could cover vandalism. Good to know!

My vote would be for the cash out refinance. Lower monthly payments and cash strong.

Thanks for your input, Matthew. I am a buy and hold investor. This particular property generates about $40,000 gross income in rent proceeds annually.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.