Demolition Costs and Permits

4 Replies

Hi BP community! 

I recently purchased my first project in Santa Monica and am pretty much in the dark regarding demolition costs. 

I've been receiving quotes from contractors, but the price range has been fairly wide. 

There are two questions I would love to hear your thoughts on:

1) What is an appropriate price for demolition on a 2 floor, 1400sqft condo. Includes removing flooring, exposing top of walls to gain insight on whether low bearing or not, and kitchen cabinetry. 

2) Is there a way for a proactive homeowner to reduce demo costs, i.e., pulling permit from city, knocking down cabinetry?

Can't wait to hear all your thoughts! Thanks in advance! 

Best,

Josh

The permit is usually very cheap. I've pulled four of them over the years (in Washington state) and paid no more than $200 to remove a building. I've seen permits in Los Angeles that are even lower.

For interior demolition of the kind you are doing I would be self performing if at all possible. The biggest issue is waste removal. You need a solid plan and estimate before you start. 

Hi Seth! Thanks for the info. To what extent can I demo myself and by plan do you mean floor plan, or demo plan?

Demo isnt hard , just pretend you are a tenant and you dont like your landlord .  The only difference is you have to carry the debris to the dumpster 

Originally posted by @Joshua Berliner :

Hi Seth! Thanks for the info. To what extent can I demo myself and by plan do you mean floor plan, or demo plan?

You can do all of the demo yourself. It's the easiest part of the whole project.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here