Where do I find out how much is owed in mortgage on a property

3 Replies

So what the best way to discover how much a seller owes on their property? I am a newbie. Working on wholesaling this deal however, I do not want to make an offer on this house until I know how much is owed in back mortgage and property taxes. I want the exact number for my buyer. The seller just wants to pay off the house and get out before he is foreclosed on. Do I have the title company look that up? Also a buyer had mentioned to me something about a seller disclosure form to be submitted to the sellers mortgage company where they give you permission to see their mortgage info. Can't seem to find that form anywhere. Anyone heard of those? Whats the easiest solution here? Need some help on this one. Thanks.

The only way to get a true $ figure is to have a borrower's authorization signed (search for borrower authorization form) and submit that with a request for a payoff statement from the lender.

Pretty sure you can find the original balance at the county clerks office then estimate what the balance would be based off of amount of time passed

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here