Possibly a 2 for 1 on my First Deal?

3 Replies

Hey guys, I've been scouting for what feels like ages to find a good deal. My search has been consisting of small multifamily houses that I can house hack. My original goal was to live for "almost free" while building equity. I needed a place to live and didn't want to rent anymore. Let's break down the deals we're trying to close on... Duplex - Asking Price 115k - Listed for Market Value Offer accepted for 105k. Comes with Tenant on a 12 month lease renting out smaller unit upstairs for $575/month. Bottom unit is estimated to rent for $800. Seller wants to live there for 2 months paying $25/day ($750/month). Since the top unit is rented out, our original thinking was just to live in the bottom unit for a year. If we did that, our mortgage would be almost $400. Then we factor in utilities & setting money aside for payments, probably close to $900-$1000. We just had it inspected and there was some big red flags... - Roof in critical condition - Lead Pipe for the Water Supply - Mold in Attic/Basement I'm curious to get opinions on the Lead Pipe, but our thinking is that we will just get the water tested. If it's clean, we will just test it once per year. It's an old house and every house on the street has the same Lead Pipe and not having any issues. We spoke with city water department and he said don't worry about it. A full tear off roof would be $4200. Were going to negotiate with seller to give us some credit towards that, but I don't think that's too much for a new roof. For the Mold, we're sending an inspector there Monday to give us an estimate. My realtor thinks it's not that big of a deal. I had the thought... What if we just found a tenant for the bottom unit and rented it out? Both units rented out would cash flow about $500. We set some aside for expenses and are in the GREEN. But we STILL need a place to live... Right as our offer got accepted on this Duplex, a small SFH popped up. ------------------------------------------------ Deal #2 SFH - Listed for 55k - Offer Accepted 57k - ARV 87k Needs about $10-12k work. Rents between $850-$900. While renting out the Duplex, our mortgage on this house would be about $275. We would have $300-400 in monthly bills. Our goal is to live here for 'almost free' while fixing it up and bringing it up to ARV. Possibly cash out refinance and move onto the next one or just rent it out. Originally we were only looking for 1 property to live in and rent the other side, but the only way getting the Duplex made sense was if we rented it all out. The Downside on the Duplex is there isn't much value add. It's already one of the nicer houses on the street. It needs a New Roof, but it won't add much value. The good thing is, it'll be easier to rent out. We still would have to find a tenant for the bottom unit, bur that's the nicer of the two. I do not own any property currently & if this all works out we'll have 3 doors paid by 2 tenants. If needed, we could move into the Upper Duplex unit and cash flow about $200/month after setting money aside for repairs & such. But it's nice to live in our own house with no tenants next door. So I'm curious to get your opinion on my setup!! I know some people are against getting anything without a value add, but we were fighting against the clock. My credit partner is losing full time status soon & going down to part time where she won't qualify for much. I don't qualify for anything with my work, so it seems like the only logical option here!

Updated 10 months ago

Hey guys, I've been scouting for what feels like ages to find a good deal. My search has been consisting of small multifamily houses that I can house hack. My original goal was to live for "almost free" while building equity. I needed a place to live and didn't want to rent anymore. Let's break down the deals we're trying to close on... Duplex - Asking Price 115k - Listed for Market Value Offer accepted for 105k. Comes with Tenant on a 12 month lease renting out smaller unit upstairs for $575/month. Bottom unit is estimated to rent for $800. Seller wants to live there for 2 months paying $25/day ($750/month). Since the top unit is rented out, our original thinking was just to live in the bottom unit for a year. If we did that, our mortgage would be almost $400. Then we factor in utilities & setting money aside for payments, probably close to $900-$1000. We just had it inspected and there was some big red flags... - Roof in critical condition - Lead Pipe for the Water Supply - Mold in Attic/Basement I'm curious to get opinions on the Lead Pipe, but our thinking is that we will just get the water tested. If it's clean, we will just test it once per year. It's an old house and every house on the street has the same Lead Pipe and not having any issues. We spoke with city water department and he said don't worry about it. A full tear off roof would be $4200. Were going to negotiate with seller to give us some credit towards that, but I don't think that's too much for a new roof. For the Mold, we're sending an inspector there Monday to give us an estimate. My realtor thinks it's not that big of a deal. I had the thought... What if we just found a tenant for the bottom unit and rented it out? Both units rented out would cash flow about $500. We set some aside for expenses and are in the GREEN. But we STILL need a place to live... Right as our offer got accepted on this Duplex, a small SFH popped up. ------------------------------------------------ Deal #2 SFH - Listed for 55k - Offer Accepted 57k - ARV 87k Needs about $10-12k work. Rents between $850-$900. While renting out the Duplex, our mortgage on this house would be about $275. We would have $300-400 in monthly bills. Our goal is to live here for 'almost free' while fixing it up and bringing it up to ARV. Possibly cash out refinance and move onto the next one or just rent it out. Originally we were only looking for 1 property to live in and rent the other side, but the only way getting the Duplex made sense was if we rented it all out. The Downside on the Duplex is there isn't much value add. It's already one of the nicer houses on the street. It needs a New Roof, but it won't add much value. The good thing is, it'll be easier to rent out. We still would have to find a tenant for the bottom unit, but that's the nicer of the two. I do not own any property currently & if this all works out we'll have 3 doors paid by 2 tenants. If needed, we could move into the Upper Duplex unit and cash flow about $200/month after setting money aside for repairs & such. But it's nice to live in our own house with no tenants next door. So I'm curious to get your opinion on my setup!! I know some people are against getting anything without a value add, but we were fighting against the clock. My credit partner is losing full time status soon & going down to part time where she won't qualify for much. I don't qualify for anything with my work, so it seems like the only logical option here!

well formatting sucks, so won't expect many to read all this :( 

You are some kind of maintenance, repair denier. RE issues don't disappear  like skin rash does. 

A Realtor says don't worry about it-time to worry. 

City employee says same-get it in writing. 

Your lady losing job. 

This is all around Trouble. 

@Eric Adobo Here's some more context....

My realtor is a close family friend for the past 30 years, this guy has been a mentor to me thus far and helped me immensely. 

The 3 red flags, mold, roof, lead pipe are all very concerning. In fact, it almost made me walk away as soon as I heard that. Since we're buying it 10k off market value, I wasn't counting on a lot of repairs. Especially ones that don't add value.

A full tear off roof is $4200, I just got a quote. We're negotiating with the seller to split costs of that. 

Mold getting inspected Monday! (fingers crossed)

The Lead Pipe is a bit concerning, but the entire block was built in the 1920s. They all have lead pipes and have no issues. In fact, the city came out and offered to update the supply line with copper a few years ago and they all agreed that it didn't need to be changed. 

I decided to order a test kit to see if it has lead in the water. If it fails the test, could be a deal breaker. If it passes, we'll keep checking once per year to make sure there's no changes. 

My girlfriend is going part time as a nurse to go back to school. I have money, I just don't qualify for a mortgage. The reason this makes more sense to get 2 houses instead of 1 is because if we rent the bottom half of the Duplex the cash flow allows us to pay a 2nd mortgage. We NEED a place to live & it'd be more expensive to just own one and pay for it ourselves.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here