Hey Active investors; PROFIT or ROI?

5 Replies

@Ross Mcghie - I will try to answer your question, but it will be from a midwest perspective. Most guys who do flips on a professional level and have a pipeline process in place will make about 15% net before taxes on average. Sometimes you have a 20%+ deal and sometimes you fall a bit short. That's a lot of flips at median price points to have a good year!

On a buy and hold you can expect a net cash profit of about $200 per door. This will typically increase as your investment matures. Total ROI on a buy and hold is much greater, because you also deleverage the loan and appreciate over time and with rehab. a combined ROI should be at a minimum of 10% on value (unleveraged) or over 30% cash on cash leveraged.

Now, before I get tomatoes thrown at me, yes you can do better than that, but I think it's better to keep the expectations a bit more conservative and if you land a home run later, that's the cherry on top. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here