Any Detroit landlords out there?

8 Replies

Hello, found a house that has a longtime tenant in Detroit. I have property in Oakland , Richmond and Miami Dade do I am not afraid of a low income area. I want to know if the city is landlord friendly and what is customary for landlords to cover, water, garbage, snow removal?

Thanks! Joy

@Joy Allen you're asking a question with no frame of reference, so it really cannot be answered easily.

Please tell us what you expect when you ask about landlord friendly?

Thank you for the replies. The eviction question was one thing I wondered about so thank you for that answer. Snow removal? Is that the landlords responsibility? Oakland CA has a 15.00 tax on every 1000.00 of rent you receive and a license is required for another 90.00 annually. If you leave your unit vacant there is a tax for that and rent control, the city gives you a percent you are allowed to use every year( CA has it's own state regulated number) and protected classes can not easily be evicted. Compared to San Francisco this great! I will not go into details but if someone wanted to give me a building in San Francisco that had existing tenants in it I probably would politely decline due to the fact that you must pay tenants around 5,200.00 or more just to move into your own unit or renovate and a general feeling of tenant favoritism.  I can google the regulations but I guess I was looking for a general feel of the city from a Detroit landlord. Thanks!

The City of Detroit requires all rental properties to be registered and regularly inspected. You can read about it here:

https://detroitmi.gov/departme...

The 36th District Court is a bit tenant-friendly, so you'll need to stay on top the eviction process and hire a good attorney.

There are no other landlord fees or rent control issues.

Hi @Joy Allen

If you screen tenants and plan to expand in the Detroit area I would be mindful of a recent ordinance that was passed. Landlords with five or more rental units are not able to ask applicants about criminal history during the initial screening process. An applicant must meet all other qualifications for your rental before you are able to run a background check on them. 

I hope this information is helpful :) 

Best of luck with the house! 

Don't forget to ask about the property taxes... you might be quite surprised.

Dan Gilbert whined that he couldn't make the numbers work in Detroit unless he was given tax breaks across the board- "brownfield" tax credits, opportunity zone re-designation, property tax abatement on his hotel. 

Nice for Dan Gilbert- the rest have to carry the full weight of the tax monkey on their back. Don't overlook them, and they are high in Detroit. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you