Florida rental, or Indiana rental, for appreciation and long term

5 Replies

I have been looking into markets lately and Indiana is getting a lot of positive feed but when I was looking at the growth it is very stagnate. Florida is growing at an exponential rate currently. I am trying to lock down a market and looking for advice. Thank you

@Ethen Roemmich

I'm not sure where you're seeing growth is stagnate in Indiana, or what that means exactly. Like many other areas, home and land values are up double or triple digits in the past few years (appreciation ٪) and appreciation has been fairly steady since 2008 in most cities, even smaller ones.

Don't let state lines dictate your strategy. Go where the individual property makes sense for you personally (market, pricing, taxes, team on the ground, etc).

If you ever need help on the ground in Indiana (walk throughs, analysis, etc), happy to help. DM me here for more info.

It's not possible to compare two states in different regions of the country. First of all, each state has it's own good areas and bad areas and areas growing and those shrinking. 

Pick an area you like and pick an area you have a good team. You can be in the best market but have dud rentals if your team is garbage. And vice versa. Most people would consider Gary, IN one of the worse places in the country to invest. Yet I manage for many there and they are banking. But it comes down to the right people helping you. 

Indianapolis area is seeing good economic and real estate growth.  What is great about this area is the diversity -- medicial, pharmeceutical, aerospace, manufacturing, technology, distribution centers, as well as a recovering sports and convention sector.  Would love to have a conversation with you about it.

@Joel Fischer - I am seeing some interesting things happening in Anderson & Muncie.  No, I am not interested there myself, but I think many investors and developers are going there because prices are less expensive than Indy.  My caution would be to make sure that jobs support those areas.  Sorry, I do not know much about Thornton.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you