Skip to content
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
Dan MacDonald
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Arlington, VA
Votes |
Efficient way to find counties/towns where STRs are unrestriced?

Dan MacDonald
  • Arlington, VA
Posted Jan 18 2022, 17:04

We're interested in starting to invest in STRs, but our area (Washington DC) is generally heavily restricted. Is there an efficient way to find areas in the country (ideally areas in the mid-atlantic), where STRs are permitted/unrestricted?

User Stats

Votes
Luke Carl#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Tennessee Florida
Votes |
Luke Carl#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Tennessee Florida
Replied Jan 18 2022, 17:09

beaches and mountains. places where very few people live but millions and millions visit. 

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Jan 18 2022, 17:15

You will find that conservative states and locales will be more receptive to allowing STRs to operate. Blue areas will be more restrictive.

Generally speaking of course and my opinion only....kinda....

But no, there are no websites or formulas for finding these places, you'll have to ask around and do your own research.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Dan MacDonald
  • Arlington, VA
Votes |
  • Arlington, VA
Replied Jan 18 2022, 17:17

@Luke Carl yeah I figured that, but are you aware of list somewhere - maybe on AirBnb's site - that shows counties or towns that are considered accommodating? So I don't have to search county by county and research their laws. 

User Stats

Votes
Dan MacDonald
  • Arlington, VA
Votes |
  • Arlington, VA
Replied Jan 18 2022, 17:18

@Bruce Woodruff ok thanks

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Jan 18 2022, 17:25

@Dan MacDonald Yeah, sorry there is no better way. I would get some rough ideas and then ask on here and see what people say...there is a lot of experience on here.

PS - I'm from Arlington originally - used to be a nice little small town with a southern feel...

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Jan 18 2022, 17:38

Find out where everyone else is doing it.

Especially tourist towns. 

User Stats

Votes
Dan MacDonald
  • Arlington, VA
Votes |
  • Arlington, VA
Replied Jan 18 2022, 17:44

@Bruce Woodruff oh really? Yeah I hear ya, the development in Arlington is relentless. We bought a place in the Yorktown school district, expecting that we're probably here for the long haul...

Regarding places to consider for STRs -- do you have any experience/knowledge of the rules in Virginia wine country and/or Maryland/Delaware beaches? From what we can tell - about wine country - STRs are banned in Middleburg, but we still see quite a few listings out there in near by areas. Not sure if each town sets its own rules, or if it's by county or what.

And then the beach towns, from what I can tell they seem to be generally permitted on the Delmarva peninsula, but perhaps HOAs (if applicable) set their own rules? So may be a case by case basis depending on the house. 

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Jan 18 2022, 17:52
Originally posted by @Dan MacDonald:

@Bruce Woodruff oh really? Yeah I hear ya, the development in Arlington is relentless. We bought a place in the Yorktown school district, expecting that we're probably here for the long haul...

Regarding places to consider for STRs -- do you have any experience/knowledge of the rules in Virginia wine country and/or Maryland/Delaware beaches? From what we can tell - about wine country - STRs are banned in Middleburg, but we still see quite a few listings out there in near by areas. Not sure if each town sets its own rules, or if it's by county or what.

And then the beach towns, from what I can tell they seem to be generally permitted on the Delmarva peninsula, but perhaps HOAs (if applicable) set their own rules? So may be a case by case basis depending on the house. 

Haha, I went to Yorktown.....the #1 High School in the US at the time. I assume the schools are still the best?

I ddon't know what the area is like any more, but it might be time to look OOS...? Unless the new Governor makes it illegal to ban STRs like they did in AZ....

User Stats

Votes
Jillian Kemmerer
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Scranton, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Scranton, PA
Replied Jan 18 2022, 17:55

I just search on the Airbnb app - I stick in a town, and see if they have any, and how close to town center they are = )

It's not a sure-fire thing, but a good first step before pulling ordinances or call the town hall = )

User Stats

Votes
Dan MacDonald
  • Arlington, VA
Votes |
  • Arlington, VA
Replied Jan 18 2022, 18:13

I had a feeling you did. You learned enough to move west, so figured you had a quality upbringing.

Allegedly Yorktown is still the best in the area. But if you went off of the parent's opinions on Nextdoor, you might not think so. We'll see.

You might be right about getting OOS. For the long run, it might be safer to look south (like OBX). A little further drive then I'd like, but might be worth it if it means staying in business. 

User Stats

Votes
Dan MacDonald
  • Arlington, VA
Votes |
  • Arlington, VA
Replied Jan 18 2022, 18:15

@Jillian Kemmerer thanks, I'll try that. 

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy Woodard
  • Walnut Creek, CA
Votes |
  • Walnut Creek, CA
Replied Jan 18 2022, 21:28

@Dan MacDonald if only, I'd pay good money for that service! It's not hard to find this information, but unfortunately it's just time-consuming google searches for "[county name] short term rental laws" or "[city name] short term rental laws" for markets you're considering. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Jon Lopez
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Jan 18 2022, 22:32

@Dan MacDonald hi Dan. I'm also on the hunt for an STR in Florida. I called into the city of Daytona Beach and spoke with someone. They emailed me a map and chart with zoning codes. Message me your email address and I can forward the email to you.

Per chart, “Short-term rentals (rentals less than 6 months) are listed as Other Accommodations in the permitted uses. If Other Accommodations is not listed under the Permitted Uses section highlighted in green, short-term rentals are not permitted at that location.”

Hope this helps with your hunt.

User Stats

Votes
Sean McDonnell
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Surf City, NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Surf City, NC
Replied Jan 19 2022, 04:26

You should read Avery and @Luke Carl book. They lay out a very logical process for how to choose a market from a high level and then the steps to take to to a more in depth analysis once you have a potential market identified. One of their recommendation which I strongly second is to get connected with a local agent that works with a lot of investors in that target market. Someone on Biggerpockets has probably done all the research for you already in each market, the key is to just get connected with them! 

User Stats

Votes
Dan MacDonald
  • Arlington, VA
Votes |
  • Arlington, VA
Replied Jan 19 2022, 18:53

@Sean McDonnell thanks I'll look up the book. I also figured connecting with local agents would be the next step. Bottom line is it sounds like there is currently no national/international database of towns that are more/less accommodating for STRs. 

User Stats

Votes
Melissa B
Pro Member
  • Richmond, KY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Richmond, KY
Replied Jan 20 2022, 07:02

@Dan MacDonald  This is the only list I'm aware of, and I live near the #1 and #6 "up and coming".  There has been a land grab there.

https://www.airdna.co/blog/bes...

User Stats

Votes
Joaquin Camarasa
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Springfield VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Springfield VA
Replied Jan 21 2022, 07:08

Adding to all the extra info, make sure to ask to the county representatives the current regulations and also any regulations that they might be aware will be passed in the near future. I have been following the STR market in Shennadoah and its pretty crazy how fast the good properties go and most of them are going for way more than list price.

User Stats

Votes
Derick Bonsu
  • Investor
  • Washington, DC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Washington, DC
Replied Jan 21 2022, 18:51

Ha, good luck.

I'm in your area and wish the options were better here as well.

In all seriousness though, unless you stick with established markets like the others mentioned, that coveted list would be outdated by the time they hit a website list. A lot of the metro markets especially are constantly changing their rules and not worth the hassle. 

I would say to follow the herd for the most part and stick with established markets. As someone said above, the short term shop folks operate in str friendly place, so you can check out their site if you don't have/know a place to start.