• Denver, CO
Votes |
Best Tools to Self-Manage STRs Remotely

Alexa Ferguson
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Posted Jan 19 2022, 13:44

My husband and I own a few STRs in the Denver area that we self-manage. While we live in the area, our goal is to make these STRs as self-sufficient as possible so that 1) the cash flow they generate becomes increasingly passive, and 2) we feel confident investing in STRs out of state, which we’d like to do in the near future. For us, the following softwares have proven useful in making our STRs more hands-off:

- Pricing Tool: PriceLabs - dynamic, data-driven pricing tool that auto-updates your listings, optimizing income and occupancy by adjusting prices based on market data and trends.

- Cleaner Scheduling Manager: TurnoverBnb - automates scheduling and paying cleaners at its core, but can also systematize guest check-out and reviews.

- Channel Manager: Guesty - allows you to list your STR on multiple platforms (Airbnb, VRBO, etc.) and manage it all from one place.

Hopefully this info is helpful to you, and I’m happy to answer any questions you may have on self-managing STRs.

I'm also curious - have you all had success with any other STR management tools/softwares?

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Pillow
  • Realtor
  • Destin, Fl
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Destin, Fl
Replied Jan 19 2022, 13:47

Great post! I love seeing what people are using to help get the word out on self management. 

User Stats

Votes
Luke Carl#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Tennessee Florida
Votes |
  • Tennessee Florida
Replied Jan 19 2022, 13:58

Old hat at this point sister. @Paul Sandhu manages with nothing but a calendar and a phone and he’s got 3 yachts 

BiggerPockets logo
Meet Investor-Friendly Agents
|
BiggerPockets
Network with top investor-friendly agents who can help you find, analyze, and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Alexa Ferguson
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jan 19 2022, 16:55

@Luke Carl are you able to expand a bit? I actually learned of these tools from Avery's book and manage them all from my phone - if there's a better way I'm always down to learn!

User Stats

Votes
  • Tennessee Florida
Votes |
  • Tennessee Florida
Replied Jan 19 2022, 16:58
Originally posted by @Alexa Ferguson:

@Luke Carl are you able to expand a bit? I actually learned of these tools from Avery's book and manage them all from my phone - if there's a better way I'm always down to learn!

I was just trying to be funny and as usual I failed miserably.  You are doing everything right! 

User Stats

Votes
Alexa Ferguson
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jan 19 2022, 17:08

@Luke Carl oh haha! No worries at all 👍🏽

User Stats

Votes
Kayla Givens
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jan 19 2022, 17:43

Another great post about STRs, Alexa! I love learning from you and your husbands' experience and can't wait to utilize what I've learned from you to get my own STR going!

Sweat Equity Real Estate Logo
Account Closed
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jan 19 2022, 20:05

@Alexa Ferguson Seems like all the right tools. I guess you could go deeper within each one to see if you’re making full use of the software. E.g., using PriceLabs for dynamic minimum night stays, Guesty to offer discounts for extended stays, etc.

User Stats

Votes
Lucas Martinez
  • Realtor
  • Santa Barbara, CA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Santa Barbara, CA
Replied Jan 19 2022, 20:24

@Alexa Ferguson

I use Hospitable for channel management as well as cleaner scheduling/communication etc. They are also rolling out a direct booking platform soon which will be helpful.

I manage mine with only pricelabs and Hospitable, and I don’t feel the need for a 3rd platform.

User Stats

Votes
Todd Mason
Pro Member
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Boise, ID
Replied Jan 19 2022, 20:28

Thank you @Alexa Ferguson ! Such a great post! I’m starting to jump into self managing( trying to break away from the PM ) I’ve looked into Hospitable formerly Smartbnb but now I’ll check out Guesty! Hope it all goes smoothly for you:)

User Stats

Votes
Scott K.
Votes |

I use pricelabs, hospitable, and get properly. Properly does cleaning scheduling and checklists. The checklists are absolutely fundamental to ensuring cleaners don't forget things, and saves me from customers who make up problems. 

User Stats

Votes
Alexa Ferguson
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jan 20 2022, 08:36

Thanks all!

@Scott K. Awesome! TurnoverBnb also has a checklist feature which has been really helpful to our cleaners and given us more peace of mind knowing that our cleaners know exactly what is expected of them. Nice to learn of other tools that do the same thing!

User Stats

Votes
Paul Sandhu#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • The worst town to live in, KS
Votes |
Paul Sandhu#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • The worst town to live in, KS
Replied Jan 20 2022, 09:09

I manage 23 STRs with a piece of posterboard and post-it notes; from one of my 2 yachts @Luke Carl

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Dan Thomas
  • Bow, NH
Votes |
  • Bow, NH
Replied Jan 20 2022, 14:25

@Paul Sandhu

2? I only see one.

User Stats

Votes
Jake Cohen
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jan 20 2022, 16:17

@Alexa Ferguson I love pricelabs. I use hospitable for my communications. I’ll have to look at turnoverbnb and properly for cleaning. I use good old fashion lists and feedback from my guests for my cleaners. Another software I love is StayFi. Helps you to collect emails from your guests to be able to market to them later.

I’d love to connect. I’m also based in Colorado. Always looking for hosts in the area.

Cheers!