• Melbourne, FL
Votes |
Spam requests on VRBO

Kerry Baird
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Melbourne, FL
Posted Jan 21 2022, 12:08

I am getting a barrage of spam requests on VRBO.  This happened in a similar manner about a week ago, but this time I saved the wording.  I am not sure what the scam part might be.  Here is what I notice: the people all have accounts that opened this month, some of the names are odd, they came all within an hour. These rhymed with the ones I got last week, and are worded similarly.  Anyone else having a Spammy sort of day?

Michael Naylor
Good morning, We are a small familly looking to spend some quality time at your property. I can't seem to figure out if you're available for our dates. From our understanding, our booking must be pre-approved, is that true? If correct, please send it and we will take it from there. Thank you so much.

Walker Bridgette
Good day, Is your place open for bookings during these restriction filled times? Can you confirm that the dates we have selected on vrbo, are available or not? If you do have availability, can you please approve us, so that we may proceed and book it through vrbo? We will be making the booking ASAP. Thanks for replying.

Steele Stephen
Hello there, Your property stands out and we're commited to making a booking. I can't seem to figure out if you're available for our dates. It seems that we have to contact you before booking, in order to receive some kind of pre approval thing from you. To speed things up, please send the approval and we will handle it immediately. Thank you so much.

Tammy Pollard
Good evening, Your property stands out and we're commited to making a booking. I'm looking to find out if our dates are available for booking. It seems that we have to contact you before booking, in order to receive some kind of pre approval thing from you. We will be making the booking ASAP. Thank you so much.

Patricia Arnold
Hi there, We are a small familly looking to spend some quality time at your property. Looking to book the dates we have selected, but if they aren't available, we are flexible by a week or two. If the answer is positive, can you please send us an approval to book it? To speed things up, please send the approval and we will handle it immediately. Thanks.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Jan 21 2022, 12:13

Hmmm, that's odd.... I haven't received any exactly like those. Wonder where the scam is...how are they getting money out of you? Hmmmm.....

The ones I get are people wanting their company to pay for a business trip and would I take a cashiers check?

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Jan 21 2022, 12:35

If they are paying through the platform I don't see how they can scam you.

Maybe try calling them and speaking with them.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Jan 21 2022, 12:49

Hey @Kerry Baird, I have had all those and more. Wording is a little different but the same kind of thing.

I also get the "geologists, fisherman, oil rig roughnecks" who's company is paying for their getaway and need to pay with a company check...

User Stats

Votes
Paul Sandhu#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • The worst town to live in, KS
Votes |
Paul Sandhu#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • The worst town to live in, KS
Replied Jan 21 2022, 12:54

They send you a check, then have some excuse like a death in the family and want you to send them a refund.  You've already deposited the check.  If you send them a refund, the check they sent will bounce.

User Stats

Votes
Kerry Baird
Pro Member
  • Melbourne, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Melbourne, FL
Replied Jan 21 2022, 12:58

@Michael Baum, and @Bruce Woodruff, and travelling pastors who must pay by check?  I've gotten them, too, especially early on. 

@John Underwood, I am not sure what is in it for them, either.  Four of those messages are duplicates, but with different names.  It is just janky.