Votes
Bryce Boyer
Pro Member
Votes |
Best Beds for Short-Term Rentals

Bryce Boyer
Pro Member
Posted Jan 27 2022, 22:32

We are closing on our first STR here in a few weeks. We know that the sleeping experience is one of the most important aspects of anyones stay.

What beds do you highly recommend?

We would love to find a bed that holds up to a lot of turnaround but also very comfortable creating the best experience for our customers. 

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Strickland
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Flowery Branch, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Flowery Branch, GA
Replied Jan 27 2022, 23:15

Zinus memory foam on Amazon 

User Stats

Votes
Mike Shemp
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Stewartsville, NJ
Votes |
  • Stewartsville, NJ
Replied Jan 28 2022, 04:54

The bed is important, but in my experience not the most important.

We have comfortable beds, but we get far more compliments on leaving them extra coffee, gift cards, and just the little things.

For us, hospitality brings them back as repeat guests and less so the mattress but this could simply be unique for us.

Mike

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Simms
  • Marietta, GA
Votes |
  • Marietta, GA
Replied Jan 28 2022, 06:26

@Bryce Boyer We have 3 kings in our cabin and use it personally on occasion. That said, my wife and I do not like memory foam mattresses, so we got what we use at home. Ashley Furniture 12" Hybrid mattress in a box. It is super comfortable to us, we have gotten great feedback from guests, and best of all, they are cheap. Around $400 on sale. 

For the other beds, we went with the Sleep Innovations Marley Memory Foam Mattress and a Linenspa 12" memory hybrid mattress. Crazy enough, we had ordered the Sleep Innovations Hudson Hybrid mattress, they sent us the Marley Memory Foam accidentally. We called about it and they said, keep them both. So we have an extra mattress in storage when inevitably it wears out/gets destroyed.

These were all very affordable mattresses, but we have gotten lots of positive feedback.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Jan 28 2022, 07:02

Anything comfortable. We have memory foams, sofa beds and mattresses we bought used (in perfect shape)..

User Stats

Votes
Joe Splitrock
Pro Member
  • Sioux Falls, SD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Sioux Falls, SD
ModeratorReplied Jan 28 2022, 07:09
A lot of people do memory foam, but there are people who dislike memory foam. We did intendent coil and we have had great comments about how comfortable our beds are. People have even told us that usually beds at STR are pretty bad, which makes sense because owners buy the cheapest thing they can find in many cases. Whatever you get, buy a good quality waterproof mattress protector. 

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Jan 28 2022, 07:24

We have switched over to the memory foam that Luke Carl recommended and have no complaints. Most people even comment on how comfortable they are.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 28 2022, 07:40

From my research, bed size is super important too. We decided to squeeze in queen beds instead of full size, even though full would fit better in the room. We went with the Zinus Green Tea mattresses.

User Stats

Votes
Paul Sandhu#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • The worst town to live in, KS
Votes |
Paul Sandhu#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • The worst town to live in, KS
Replied Jan 28 2022, 08:53

I just buy whatever is for sale at an estate auction.  I tend to avoid king sized mattresses because they are difficult to take up stairs.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Jan 28 2022, 09:49
Originally posted by @Joe Splitrock:
A lot of people do memory foam, but there are people who dislike memory foam. We did intendent coil and we have had great comments about how comfortable our beds are. People have even told us that usually beds at STR are pretty bad, which makes sense because owners buy the cheapest thing they can find in many cases. Whatever you get, buy a good quality waterproof mattress protector. 

We've had people take off the protectors because of the feel...? Still have em though, a must...,

User Stats

Votes
Quinn Olivarez
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Houston, TX
Replied Jan 28 2022, 10:43
Originally posted by @Joshua Strickland:

Zinus memory foam on Amazon 

these are nice, but also beware! They’re full of fiberglass and if you read the negative reviews, it can be a problem on a case by case basis.  

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Jan 28 2022, 11:16

Everyone assumes you mean mattresses! For beds, I like to find used American made stuff. All our beds are either Thomasville, Bassett and one custom made pine bed from a local furniture guy. They will hold up much better than other beds and can be had for a song on Craigslist, OfferUP and Facebook Marketplace.

For mattresses, I agree that the Zinus Green Tea mattresses work great! They are affordable, hold up very well and everyone seems to like them so far.

I use a Beauty Rest Black waterproof cover (Costco) over the top of a 1.5" memory foam topper (The Big One Kohls). They are very comfortable and have been going strong for 5 years now.

User Stats

Votes
Dan Thomas
  • Bow, NH
Votes |
  • Bow, NH
Replied Jan 28 2022, 17:10

@Bryce Boyer

Another vote for the green tea. A few people actually comment on them in their reviews and one guest actually asked me where I bought the mattresses because they wanted to buy one for their house. I personally don't think they are comfortable but they were reccomended to me and my guests seem to like them!

User Stats

Votes
Nancy Bachety
  • Sag Harbor, NY
Votes |
  • Sag Harbor, NY
Replied Jan 28 2022, 18:20

Purple mattress. There are independent resellers of the ones that customers return after two weeks. 

User Stats

Votes
Kerry Baird
Pro Member
  • Melbourne, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Melbourne, FL
Replied Jan 28 2022, 18:45

I found a Purple mattress on the "dent and scratch" sale at my local shop.  My guests do like trying it out.  I also use a Marley and a Zinus, and have only had a couple of comments about any of them.  

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Oetting
  • Realtor
  • St. Petersburg FL
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • St. Petersburg FL
Replied Jan 30 2022, 00:53

@Bryce Boyer we try to go with king whenever possible and always memory foam. It's something you mention in your listing. I get mine from goodhostshop.