• Rental Property Investor
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
Blue Ridge GA STR restrictions

Nick Jackson
  • Miami, FL
Posted Apr 17 2022, 17:21

Hi all. Looking into the north Georgia mountain area and found an article posted mentioning restricting air bnb’s in the area. It’s from a couple years ago but have net seen any comments on this. Is it hard to get approved? Is it just for downtown and cabins are fine? Looks like Ellijay going through the same thing. Love to hear what the feel on the ground is. 

Thanks! 

Articles: 

Blue ridge: https://www.wsbradio.com/news/...

Ellijay: 

https://gilmer.fetchyournews.c...

User Stats

Votes
Michael Craven
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Springfield, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Springfield, OH
Replied Apr 18 2022, 05:50

Hey there- from what I understand, the possibility of restrictions on STRs is more so for properties in the city limits of Blue Ridge. If you are outside of the city limits you work with Fannin County and the process is pretty painless. It took maybe a week or so for us to get our approval for our two cabins

User Stats

Votes
Nick Jackson
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
  • Miami, FL
Replied Apr 18 2022, 16:06
Quote from @Michael Craven:

Hey there- from what I understand, the possibility of restrictions on STRs is more so for properties in the city limits of Blue Ridge. If you are outside of the city limits you work with Fannin County and the process is pretty painless. It took maybe a week or so for us to get our approval for our two cabins

Amazing thank you! That’s what I figured but when going through the motions on my search I got hung on up that. Do you have a realtor you would suggest? In the process on meeting with 2-3 now to choose who to work with. Thanks again! 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Michael Craven
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Springfield, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Springfield, OH
Replied Apr 20 2022, 09:48

Just sent a PM!

User Stats

Votes
Holly Barrett
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Dawsonville, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Dawsonville, GA
Replied May 12 2022, 20:23

East Ellijay = No STR Allowed
Downtown Blue Ridge = No STR Allowed
White County = Special Use Permit (YUCK) - Helen city limits is the exception, STR allowed
Pretty much all of the other counties are STR friendly or don't have an ordinance (Yet), but everything I'm hearing is positive, so...I'm not too worried. 
That about sums it up!

User Stats

Votes
Anna Antipkina
  • Bridgewater, NJ
Votes |
  • Bridgewater, NJ
Replied Mar 20 2023, 11:38
Quote from @Holly Barrett:

White County = Special Use Permit (YUCK) - Helen city limits is the exception, STR allowed
Pretty much all of the other counties are STR friendly or don't have an ordinance (Yet), but everything I'm hearing is positive, so...I'm not too worried. 
That about sums it up!

Helpful thank you! Where does Mineral Bluff and Morganton fall?

User Stats

Votes
Holly Barrett
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Dawsonville, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Dawsonville, GA
Replied Mar 22 2023, 08:34

@Anna Antipkina fair game as far as I know!

User Stats

Votes
Blake Novotney
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Wilmington, NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Wilmington, NC
Replied Mar 22 2023, 09:54

Good to know... I really want something in the blue ridge mountains as well. Here in coastal NC our municipality had similar laws about STR within city limits, a couple sued the city and WON. I wonder if that is something that could possibly happen there as well.

User Stats

Votes
Holly Barrett
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Dawsonville, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Dawsonville, GA
Replied Mar 29 2023, 09:02

There's a bill in AR that hopefully will get passed which would stop local municipalities from enforcing regulation on STR. I'm hoping to see more of this and praying it gets passed bc we have 2 strs in Hot Springs that have been slapped w/rediculous annual fees and investment hindering regulation.

User Stats

Votes
Whitney Folsom
  • Honolulu, HI
Votes |
  • Honolulu, HI
Replied Mar 29 2023, 23:34

This post was very helpful. I have started my CoHosting business here in Honolulu, but I grew up in Blue Ridge and hope to manage / soon own there. 

I will be checking the ordinances to see if there are any changes to the counties you mentioned, @Holly Barrett. Mahalo!

User Stats

Votes
Zach Edelman
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Mar 31 2023, 21:06

I thought Blue Ridge was a very STR friendly city, thought it was similar vibes to the Smokie Mountains. Is this not the case?

User Stats

Votes
Neil Doldo
  • Suwanee, GA
Votes |
  • Suwanee, GA
Replied Apr 8 2023, 13:10

Downtown Blue Ridge does not allow STRs unless you have a property that was grandfathered in.  Unincorporated BR is fine, you just need a permit from Fannin County.  Ellijay just recently put similar restrictions in their downtown areas as well.  Union county just passed a rule only allowing 5% of all homes to be STRs (along with other permitting rules), so if you are looking there you better hurry.  My wife is a realtor in the area and can help with any questions.

User Stats

Votes
Neil Doldo
  • Suwanee, GA
Votes |
  • Suwanee, GA
Replied Apr 8 2023, 13:15
Quote from @Anna Antipkina:

That about sums it up!

Certain parts of Morganton are in Union County so there are new regulations. THe Fannin Co part of Morganton is fine as is Mineral Bluff. I own a property literally on the Fannin / Union line in Morganton (on the Union side) so we now have some new rules we have to follow and they are restricting th number of STR permits in the county

User Stats

Votes
Anna Antipkina
  • Bridgewater, NJ
Votes |
  • Bridgewater, NJ
Replied Apr 9 2023, 12:29
Quote from @Neil Doldo:

That about sums it up!

Certain parts of Morganton are in Union County so there are new regulations. THe Fannin Co part of Morganton is fine as is Mineral Bluff. I own a property literally on the Fannin / Union line in Morganton (on the Union side) so we now have some new rules we have to follow and they are restricting th number of STR permits in the county

Thank you for sharing Neil. I'm currently exploring building in Fannin County. I'll give the county a call to see what they can share on the permit count. Last thing I'd want is to build something I can't rent out.

User Stats

Votes
Neil Doldo
  • Suwanee, GA
Votes |
  • Suwanee, GA
Replied Apr 9 2023, 13:23
Quote from @Neil Doldo:

That about sums it up!

Thank you for sharing Neil. I'm currently exploring building in Fannin County. I'll give the county a call to see what they can share on the permit count. Last thing I'd want is to build something I can't rent out.

The majority of Fannin county you will be fine. It’s the city limits of incorporated Blue Ridge that you can no longer get an STR permit

User Stats

Votes
V.G Jason
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Apr 9 2023, 14:15

This was the first place I looked to get an STR. I could not get a straight answer from anybody at the City level, I got three different answers from three different folks within 10 minutes of each other via email. I would like to get in it, still.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Williams
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Dalton, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Dalton, GA
Replied Apr 10 2023, 13:10

Interesting read above about Union County limiting it to 5%...I didn't realize that. I'll do some research and learn more. I have a short-term in Gilmer County, the government there is pretty laid back from what I've seen, as long as you are not in the downtown area.

User Stats

Votes
Dustin Taylor
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Blue Ridge, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Blue Ridge, GA
Replied Jul 31 2023, 18:58

Hey Nick,

I know this is a old post but I thought I would shed some light on today's Blue Ridge area. STR license are still required in Blue ridge and are fairly easy to get. It does require a submission process and a once a year renewal fee. The city of blue ridge is restricted to existing licenses only. I am a local realtor in the market and own/self-manage my STRs here. Feel free to reach out with any questions. Would love to know who else in this post owns a STR in north GA and how they are performing.