Pro Member
  • Spring Hill, TN
Votes |
Buying a couple of short term rental properties in Savannah

John Paul Basham
Pro Member
  • Spring Hill, TN
Posted May 7 2022, 20:15

I'm looking into buying short term properties in Savannah, GA and would love to connect with any other investors and realtors in the area. 

User Stats

Votes
Sean Bramble
  • Investor
  • United States
Votes |
  • Investor
  • United States
Replied May 7 2022, 20:41

Please keep us posted on your journey! Area looks great from a return perspective, but at a surface level looks like a regulatory minefield. I’m curious to see if there is opportunity in specific areas where it is allowed but non-locals may not be “in the know”

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Flynn
  • Property Manager
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied May 8 2022, 11:01

Why are you thinking of investing in Savannah? I just moved up here from Florida, and am looking at an area called Cherry Log near blue ridge, but am always looking for new information.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
John Collado
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied May 10 2022, 18:34

I'm still searching for my first STR. Savannah is highly regulated.

i got the following from one of the realtors down there:

You can check the registered STVR map or etrac at www.savannahga.gov/stvr to see if a property has an existing certificate. And, to check for zoning district, check www.sagis.org and click the “zoning” option prior to entering the address to search.

User Stats

Votes
John Paul Basham
Pro Member
  • Spring Hill, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Spring Hill, TN
Replied May 24 2022, 07:15
Quote from @Kyle Flynn:

Why are you thinking of investing in Savannah? I just moved up here from Florida, and am looking at an area called Cherry Log near blue ridge, but am always looking for new information.

I was looking in the Blue Ridge area as well actually, but with cabin prices going through the roof as they have in the last year, I started looking for some other regional vacation spots where housing is a little more affordable. I'm sorting through the regulations now to see if I can find a property that will actually work. Seems like some great potential according to the airdna info. Did you buy in Cherry Log?

User Stats

Votes
John Paul Basham
Pro Member
  • Spring Hill, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Spring Hill, TN
Replied May 24 2022, 07:16
Quote from @John Collado:

I'm still searching for my first STR. Savannah is highly regulated.

i got the following from one of the realtors down there:

You can check the registered STVR map or etrac at www.savannahga.gov/stvr to see if a property has an existing certificate. And, to check for zoning district, check www.sagis.org and click the “zoning” option prior to entering the address to search.

John this is super helpful. Thanks so much for the info! Did you buy in Savannah?

User Stats

Votes
John Paul Basham
Pro Member
  • Spring Hill, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Spring Hill, TN
Replied May 24 2022, 07:16
Quote from @Sean Bramble:

Please keep us posted on your journey! Area looks great from a return perspective, but at a surface level looks like a regulatory minefield. I’m curious to see if there is opportunity in specific areas where it is allowed but non-locals may not be “in the know”

Will do Sean

User Stats

Votes
Mike Williams
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Dalton, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Dalton, GA
Replied Aug 5 2022, 08:45
Quote from @Kyle Flynn:

Hi Kyle - I an agent/investor in the Dalton, GA, area, and Cherry Log/Blue Ridge/Ellijay is a market I am active in as well. I own an STR in Ellijay that performs really well. Let's connect, would love to know what you are looking for.

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Dominy
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Oct 29 2022, 16:29

Has anyone looked into the surrounding towns from savannah to avoid the regulations? I just started looking there, but seems like opportunities in pooler (for ex) based on occupancy in the area, but I don't have insight to regulation/HOA restrictions

User Stats

Votes
Allan Garcia
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Savannah GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Savannah GA
Replied Oct 29 2022, 17:21

Hi Aaron,

I live in Savannah and I also own and manage a few Short term rentals in the areas surrounding Savannah which have had great returns. We've been up and running for a few years and has proven out to be a great market!

User Stats

Votes
Kristin Hankins
  • Guyton, GA
Votes |
  • Guyton, GA
Replied Oct 31 2022, 19:49

Savannah gets a lot of traffic for vacations, military, destination weddings, SCAD, travel nurses, etc. Lots of potential for short term rentals.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 1 2022, 08:25
Quote from @Allan Garcia:

Hi Aaron,

I live in Savannah and I also own and manage a few Short term rentals in the areas surrounding Savannah which have had great returns. We've been up and running for a few years and has proven out to be a great market!

Hi Allan,

I've also been looking in the area. What cities have you invested in surrounding Savannah? Do the STR regulations in Savannah not apply in the surrounding cities?

User Stats

Votes
Allan Garcia
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Savannah GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Savannah GA
Replied Nov 7 2022, 23:27
Quote from @Michelle Hall:
Hi Allan,

I've also been looking in the area. What cities have you invested in surrounding Savannah? Do the STR regulations in Savannah not apply in the surrounding cities?

Hi Michelle,

The areas that are regulated are: the City of Savannah districts, Tybee Island and the Thunderbolt area. Other surrounding locations do not have a short term rental ordinance.

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Austin
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Guyton, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Guyton, GA
Replied Dec 5 2022, 18:55
Quote from @Aaron Dominy:

Has anyone looked into the surrounding towns from savannah to avoid the regulations? I just started looking there, but seems like opportunities in pooler (for ex) based on occupancy in the area, but I don't have insight to regulation/HOA restrictions

Lots of area around Savannah that are prime spots for STR. We own a lot of rentals in the area. I have kept it to LTR and MTR because I haven't wanted to deal with the hospitality factor but we are currently renovating what will be our first 2 STR in a historic little town called Guyton that is 45 minutes from downtown Savannah. There is a lot of charm to some of these suburb communities and lots of family draw. This particular house will sleep a lot (It would be super costly to find a similar size place downtown savannah) and it will have some fun memorable features such a slide inside the house, an in ground pool outside, and a golfcart for crusing the community.

Frank Moore & Company Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jacqueline Torres
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Feb 13 2023, 16:08

Hi everyone! Looks like I found this forum a couple of months later, hopefully someone will still respond. I’m very interested in a property that falls in the City of Savannah district. I’ve read through their whole website and I am unable to find information on non owner occupied regulations or applications. Can anyone help me with this? 

User Stats

Votes
Dylan H.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Savannah, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Savannah, GA
Replied Feb 16 2023, 07:16

@Jacqueline Torres If it's in the city, you need to have a permit which are hard to get. I would reach out to some local realtors that know the regulations. The Chelsea Phillips group does a lot of STVR investor deals

User Stats

Votes
Antonio Narcisi
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied May 16 2023, 13:28

@Joshua Austin how are you coming along with the 2 STRs? Indoor slide sounds fun, we had one of those at my office when I worked at this tech company a few years back xD

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Austin
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Guyton, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Guyton, GA
Replied May 17 2023, 13:37

We just got through design with our interior designer. Should be complete with construction in a couple of months. Demo is done, all rough in electrical, plumbing and hvac are complete. Windows are going in this week and then we can start going back with finishes. It's going to be a fun project for sure. You can follow the progress on IG under Whimsical_House_Of_Mr_Windsor

Frank Moore & Company Logo

User Stats

Votes
Bien Nguyen
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Savannah, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Savannah, GA
Replied Jul 1 2023, 17:29
Quote from @Michelle Hall:
Quote from @Allan Garcia:

Hi Aaron,

Hi Allan,

Hi Michelle,

Tybee and Thunderbolt have regulations in addition to the city limits of Savannah. Although areas outside of those cities don't have direct regulations, many fall under Chatham County which does have some regulations (although not strict). Chatham County requires that the property be in an area that either has no HOA, or the HOA of the property allows short term rentals. You also have to be mindful that some HOA's have created amendments/addendums to not allow STR so it is important to double check for the CCR's and related amendments.

I am a local realtor in Savannah but looking in other areas for my STR as I hope to tap into the vacation home loan and need to look further away.

I hope that information helps!