Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
Gini Dutt-Roye
Votes |
Short term rental insurance

Gini Dutt-Roye
Posted May 12 2022, 09:20

I understand that short term rental insurance is expensive, but I received 2 quotes, one from our regular insurance company being about 5000 dollars and other from Foremost being about >$10,000.  I literally have sticker shock.  

I read that Foremost offers reasonable rates, but this is not reasonable.  Has anyone worked with Foremost and what is your experience with pricing and service quality.  Thank you.

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Plombon
  • Banker
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
  • Banker
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied May 12 2022, 09:27

Where is your property located? How much is the property valued at? Hard to tell solely based on price and limited details of the property. Yes - It seems high but depends on the coverage levels and market, it could be market rates.

User Stats

Votes
Gini Dutt-Roye
Votes |
Replied May 12 2022, 09:37
Quote from @Brandon Plombon:

Where is your property located? How much is the property valued at? Hard to tell solely based on price and limited details of the property. Yes - It seems high but depends on the coverage levels and market, it could be market rates.

Home is located with Houston with a value of approximately 380,000-400,000.

Dwelling coverage-460,000

Personal liability- 1,000,000

Personal property1 15,000

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jason Bott
Pro Member
#2 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Nationwide
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Nationwide
Replied May 12 2022, 10:43

@Gini Dutt-Roye Houston is a tough insurance market.  Based on the value of the building and location, the Foremost quote is in line with the market pricing.  There are a few other carriers you can try to hopefully bring it down a little lower.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#5 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied May 12 2022, 10:50

Ask your regular Home Insurance companies, like State Farm etc.... Some of them now have coverage specifically for STRs, although others don't.

My STRs are covered with State Farm for about $100 mo each. Not basic coverage either, good coverage......

Those rates you quoted are outrageous. Don't know why but maybe because they are smaller and newer companies? The older, more established companies have a much huger base to lean on for payouts....

User Stats

Votes
Gini Dutt-Roye
Votes |
Replied May 12 2022, 11:30
Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

Ask your regular Home Insurance companies, like State Farm etc.... Some of them now have coverage specifically for STRs, although others don't.

My STRs are covered with State Farm for about $100 mo each. Not basic coverage either, good coverage......

Those rates you quoted are outrageous. Don't know why but maybe because they are smaller and newer companies? The older, more established companies have a much huger base to lean on for payouts....

State Farm is our regular carrier and they quoted >5000 dollars annually. 

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied May 12 2022, 11:33

Wow! Why is it so high in your area? Keep checking.....or just factor it into your prices....

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Replied May 14 2022, 00:15

Give Proper a call. See what they have for you. It is usually more expensive that Foremost so I am not optimistic, but worth a shot.

You should ask them why it is so high. I thought you might be in a high fire danger area, but maybe it's crime? No idea really.

User Stats

Votes
Gini Dutt-Roye
Votes |
Replied May 15 2022, 04:34
Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

Wow! Why is it so high in your area? Keep checking.....or just factor it into your prices....

I honestly don’t know the reason.  I know that auto insurance premiums are more expensive as well here in Texas.

User Stats

Votes
Gini Dutt-Roye
Votes |
Replied May 15 2022, 04:36
Quote from @Michael Baum:

Give Proper a call. See what they have for you. It is usually more expensive that Foremost so I am not optimistic, but worth a shot.

You should ask them why it is so high. I thought you might be in a high fire danger area, but maybe it's crime? No idea really.

I will give them a call.  I’m not sure why the premium is so high. It’s a nice area.

User Stats

Votes
Rod Hanks
Pro Member
  • Insurance Agent
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Insurance Agent
  • Dallas, TX
Replied May 15 2022, 05:23
@Gini Dutt-Roye

Texas has one of the highest insurance rates in the country and Houston and Dallas has the highest rates in Texas. Houston has hurricanes floods and wild fires which accounts for the rate. 5k is a good rate for a STR if it's it State Farm. Sorry for the sticker shock.

I have another National carrier that may beat State Farm but pretty sure not by much. PM if you would like a quote.

User Stats

Votes
Gini Dutt-Roye
Votes |
Replied May 19 2022, 11:37
Thank you for the explanation.

Quote from @Rod Hanks:
@Gini Dutt-Roye

Texas has one of the highest insurance rates in the country and Houston and Dallas has the highest rates in Texas. Houston has hurricanes floods and wild fires which accounts for the rate. 5k is a good rate for a STR if it's it State Farm. Sorry for the sticker shock.

I have another National carrier that may beat State Farm but pretty sure not by much. PM if you would like a quote.

User Stats

Votes
Cory S.
  • Investor
  • Leander, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Leander, TX
Replied May 19 2022, 12:15

I have Proper Insurance for my Atlanta STR and the premium is $2,627 ($218.92) a month.

All State was over $4,000 when I got a quote from them.

User Stats

Votes
Josh Green
Property Manager
  • Realtor
  • Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater, FL
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Realtor
  • Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater, FL
Replied May 19 2022, 13:22

Where are you located?  I have an awesome insurance broker that consistently finds me the best rates and really customizes based on my needs!

User Stats

Votes
Gini Dutt-Roye
Votes |
Replied May 19 2022, 13:30
Quote from @Josh Green:

Where are you located?  I have an awesome insurance broker that consistently finds me the best rates and really customizes based on my needs!

Hey thanks! We are in Houston.

User Stats

Votes
Gini Dutt-Roye
Votes |
Replied May 19 2022, 14:38
Quote from @Josh Green:

Hey thanks! We are in Houston.